Tail rot or shedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello I am a new bearded dragon mom and I'm still learning. I have had this dragon since October 2020 he was starved and almost dead. The vet said he was less than half the body weight he should be. Although I am concerned he may have tail rot he does have an appointment but not for two weeks. What do you guys think? It is brittle like it will break at the very end I will post a better picture tomorrow if need be. TIA

Attachments

• IMG_20220209_201830128.jpg
    IMG_20220209_201830128.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 602

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Overall, he looks really good, nice colors! His tail looks normal to me, pre-shed. Most of the time, the tail appears a bit
darker before the shedding begins. It doesn't really look like tail rot or any type of infection to me.
How brittle or dry is the end of the tail?

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

Overall, he looks really good, nice colors! His tail looks normal to me, pre-shed. Most of the time, the tail appears a bit
darker before the shedding begins. It doesn't really look like tail rot or any type of infection to me.

Tracie
Its so brittle it feels dead and if I were to bend the tip it seems like it would break off

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello I am a new bearded dragon mom and I'm still learning. I have had this dragon since October 2020 he was starved and almost dead. The vet said he was less than half the body weight he should be. Although I am concerned he may have tail rot he does have an appointment but not for two weeks. What do you guys think? It is brittle like it will break at the very end I will post a better picture tomorrow if need be. TIA
Its so brittle it feels dead and if I were to bend the tip it seems like it would break off
Hello,

Tracie

Attachments

• IMG_20220210_103507929~4.jpg
    IMG_20220210_103507929~4.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20220210_103603607~2.jpg
    IMG_20220210_103603607~2.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20220210_103541558~2.jpg
    IMG_20220210_103541558~2.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20220210_095503817.jpg
    IMG_20220210_095503817.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 96

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, those are better pictures.
Did he have a tail injury or previously retained shed?
Since the end is brittle & feels dry, it looks like that portion isn't good. Keep an eye on the darkness on the end of the tail
to be sure it doesn't travel upwards. Most of the time it just dries up & has the tendency to fall off but watch for infection.
Do you have any silver gel or antibiotic ointment to put on it?

Tracie

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Thank you so much for replying. He shed last month and yes I have some antibiotic ointment. I have been reading the trends and I have been soaking it daily in betadine water also for about 30 minutes. I think he is starting to shed again on his tail as well. There is no exotic vet here so we must travel a bit but they can't see him for 2 weeks. Do I need to say it's an emergency?

vegullaaimee

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Chico
Hello,

Ok, those are better pictures.
Did he have a tail injury or previously retained shed?
Since the end is brittle & feels dry, it looks like that portion isn't good. Keep an eye on the darkness on the end of the tail
to be sure it doesn't travel upwards. Most of the time it just dries up & has the tendency to fall off but watch for infection.
Do you have any silver gel or antibiotic ointment to put on it?

Tracie
I also let him soak in warm water today and took a tooth brush and got a lot of the retaining shed off they were all white on a positive note he did feel it so it isn't completely dead then I covered it in antibiotic ointment original formula thank you guys so much for all the helpful tips it's greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skyfall350
Top Bottom