Tail pre-shed for a week then no shedding, back to normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Is this a normal occurance? It had been 7 weeks w/o a shed (he is a juvie, no shed while on meds :() then his tail went into preshed mode. Stayed like that for about a week and then just went back to normal color, no signs of preshed on the tail.

Does this happen often?

Now his back is in pre-shed and it looks like it will shed, but I will post again if it does not. Just want to know if it could be a problem.

Thank you!
Sherri

MissT

BD.org Addict
I think it's normal. Huff does it quite a lot! In fact, inthe year that I have had him every body part has looked like it is going to shed at some poi t but only his feet and one leg have actually managed to do anything!!

Gail

BD.org Addict
I bet his tail sheds in the next day, I've seen the same thing happen with my dragons too. In the snake world, its called going clear and it always happens a day or 2 before the actual shed.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok, so sometimes normal...
Hi Gail :) It has been a good week since his tail went back to normal after being as cloudy as a shed that should have shed within 3 days...then within 2 days the cloudiness was gone and has not come back...just seems strange to me.

How is Jupiter doing today? Are you able to get in water into him at all? I know you have told me how much hydration affects appetite and I believe that...I sure hope he turns the corner very soon, think of him everyday~~
~Sherri

Gail

BD.org Addict
that does sound weird, maybe he wasn't quite ready yet. I don't think its anything to worry about, it will happen when he's ready.

Jupiter actually took a couple bites of greens but he still won't eat a dubia. He looks at them like he is interested but just won't do it. I really think he is holding out for supers. I have gotten a bit of water in him the last few days, I dissolve the pollen in a couple CC's. Today I used just enough water to dissolve the pollen and injected some roaches, it worked pretty good and I didn't have to force his sore mouth open for the syringe.

He is throwing a fit today, he really wants out and won't stop glass dancing so I guess he feels ok for now.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
That sounds encouraging...about Jupiter. (Not worried about Razz, his whole back *is* going to shed in a few days, so I think he is getting much better!)

I feel your pain about the supers. I got some recently b/c Razz was off the dubia as well and I did not want him to have only horns...and butters.

He ate 2 supers the first day and ignored them for a week, prefering butters. All of a sudden 3 or so days ago he went nuts for them! I never in a million years would have thought he would prefer anything over horns! Now he will snub the horns (except one or 2 maybe) and wants supers.

He is digesting them fine even though I think they are a bit long for him! They are not that thick, but still...over 1.5" on some of them.

I am almost out of them and counted on him going back to dubia now *sigh*. My colony is booming and I would never need to buy any more.... He was just beginning to eat a few now and then, but not enough to sustain him.

Have you ever done the tough love with feeders? I really HAVE to *make* him want dubia again. Will they eat what you give them when hungry enough???

On the bright side...Razz started eating greens 3 days ago! Not a lot, maybe 6-10 bites of pieces that are 1/2x1/2" and a bit larger, but hey, he is going to them on his own first thing in the morning.

Just what is up with this dubia strike anyway...very frustrating!
Sherri

Gail

BD.org Addict
A lot of dragon become addicted to supers, one reason why I never fed them in the past but with the roach allergies I really needed to try something different. I may have to try tough love once Jup is all better but as long as he is feeling sickly, I'll let him eat what ever he wants.

Little Pig eats her Dubia just fine, as long as I don't have another major allergy attack, I will never feed her a super.

DJDragons

Although it's pretty much been covered, it's quite common for shed to lose opacity just prior to shedding off.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
DJDragons":1ljlmpc5 said:
Although it's pretty much been covered, it's quite common for shed to lose opacity just prior to shedding off.

Hi :)

I am glad I know that for when/if that happens in the future LOL

This, however, has been more than 10 days now since it returned to normal color after being in pre-shed for more than a week...that is what concerned me about this one. It never *did* shed at all...just went very very cloudy pre-shed for about 10 days...then within a couple of days it was back to normal without ever shedding.

Hope I explained that better lol.
Sherri

Runsnoopy

Hatchling Member
How often are BD suppose to shed? Does BD come in many different colors. Mine seems to go from a black/gray color to a gray/white color.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you :)

His back finally went from pre-shed to actual shed. Hopefully the rest will follow soon :)

Sherri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom