tail look broken or..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartley

Hatchling Member
80615-3917280808.jpg
80615-3078044122.jpg

Just noticed this today on a year old dragon. Not sure how he could have injured it, but it looks kinked. That or a retained shed that is cutting off the blood flow? He did brumate for a pretty long time (4 months) and only coming out of it a little when I would soak him about twice a month.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
In the first photo it looks like the tail may be starting to shed. Not a retained shed or a problem, just the beginning of a shed. I'm not sure if that's causing the waviness or not though. The tail doesn't look constricted to the point it would cut off blood flow but I'd keep an eye on it to see if it starts to shrink or the bending/waviness gets worse.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some otherwise healthy dragons develop a tail like that, it would probably be linked to a diet/calcium problem. I had one with a wavy tail years ago, no other problems and was healthy as can be. Was he a very fast growing dragon ? Sometimes they are the ones whose calcium needs are just a little off compared to their growth rate.

Suey777

Juvie Member
I also had one with a slight wave to its tail years ago. She had no significant no problems and was otherwise very healthy. Was he a very fast growing dragon ?

khartley

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sorry, was trying to get the other picture to upload, but it's too big.

He was severely impacted as a baby and nearly died from it. As a result he really didn't grow very fast. He is approx 15 months old now and I would say he is close to done growing.

I'm really getting worried about his tail. I am seeing that it is definitely a shedding issue. The waviness is still there, hard to tell but it may have gotten slightly worse.

khartley

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It looks like from the base of the tail to half way down should be shedding, but it won't. It has that spot in the middle that looks like it has peeled but hasn't. If you look close tho, there is space between the scales, just doesn't look right. I've been soaking him and lightly scrubbing. Last night I put on Shea which loosened several scales, but they came off all individually, and what's under is white. It seems like there is a shed on top of a shed. None of the other dragons have a problem shedding, and he hasn't either till now. I'm getting pretty worried.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That will come off in time. He's going to shed more slowly + irregularly now that he's an adult. All my adults over the years have had strange sheds but it always comes off. You're doing the right things so just be patient.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That does look like shed & the tails are so stubborn sometimes too. Just keep doing what you are presently doing right now & eventually it will work its way off. The skin on the tail tends to be pretty thick, too.
How often do you give calcium & what UVB are you using?

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, the Powersun should be fine for her. Does she willingly take the calcium powder too?

Tracie

khartley

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I just dust whatever bugs I'm feeding that day, but yes, doesn't seem to have a problem with it at all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great! Let us know how she is doing & how the shed is coming along. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom