tail issues - with photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

resisted

So, I just got home from college to find out that Simone had broken her tail sometime at the end of April. After strong words with mom, I took her to the vet today. The doctor told me there was nothing she could do because it was snapped all the way through, but the blood vessels were still intact and the tail is still viable. She gave me some liquid vitamins and told me that it would drop off. O-kay. Here's the deal: the end of her tail is black, but the underside is normal colored. The blackness is heading up her tail. I thought I'd consult ya'll before making an appointment for a second opinion.

Also, some photos from bathtime today.

l005.jpg

l008.jpg

l001.jpg

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
If it is black it means the tissue is necrotized. If it is spreading i would think it needs to be removed ASAP. Pm tracy (drache) hoepfully she can give a bit more insight!

scalesandtales

Juvie Member
He needs to go to the vet ASAP to have it amputated. My Twitch (RIP) went through the same thing. Unfortunatly it was too late and the infection had spread to his blood. It is going to spread incredibly fast. In the mean time you can soak his tail in betadine. He needs to see a Herp vet either today or tomorrow though.
Jessica

Tigg

Juvie Member
I will concur with the others... get to a DIFFERENT vet ASAP. The tail will not just drop off post break until the flesh around it has become necrotic. unfortunately, if the healthy flesh pre break is also beginning to turn black you risk losing more tail than necessary.

Tigg

Juvie Member
P.S. out of curiosity... How long is your beardie and how old? Does she have excess skin under her chin like a typical beardie? She looks an awful lot like a "Rankins Dragon" to me (Pogona Henrylawsoni) she is beautiful.

resisted

Original Poster
Tigg":dd1b1 said:
P.S. out of curiosity... How long is your beardie and how old? Does she have excess skin under her chin like a typical beardie? She looks an awful lot like a "Rankins Dragon" to me (Pogona Henrylawsoni) she is beautiful.

She's two. I'm not sure about length, but she's 77 grams. She does have excess skin under her chin.
She didn't receive the best care while I was gone (no supplements, and the same UVB for a year and a half), so if she's small for her age, it may be because of that.

Jasper's Mom

BD.org Addict
Sadly I have first hand experience with this. Because the black - the dead flesh - is moving upwards, the tail must be amputated by a qualified herp vet above the black ASAP. If it is left, the dead flesh will continue to move upwards. If it reaches the beardie's body, it's a recipe for disaster. Please take your beardie to a different herp vet and get the end of the tail amputated while there's still time to save some of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom