Taco Dropped Urates While Potentially Sleeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamP33

Did not want to post in ER since I'm not 100% sure he was asleep.

About 35-40 minutes after lights out, I was working on my bi-level tank, preparing the lower tank for a beardie I plan to get this week (probably a bad move since Taco should have been asleep). Anyway, I'm working on that tank and I hear the sound of Taco moving around in the top tank. I look up at him just as he dropped urate on the rock below the log he sleeps on. It looked healthy. White, little bit of liquid, and a tiny amount of what looked like fecal matter on the end. He scooted forward an inch or so, and (I assume) went back to sleep.

Should I be concerned? Or do you think my banging around and being an inconsiderate beardie dad for the first time kept him from getting to sleep?

Taco as of now:
- 6-7 months old (17 inches)
-No odd colorings
-Normal bowel movements, systematically between 9 and 10 AM, once a day
-Has been eating mostly superworms lately
-Is currently in mid-full body shed

To elaborate on the superworm comment above. My dubia colony is weak right now due to him eating so much, so I'm letting that build for a while. In the meantime, I'm feeding him supers. He also had issues with runny poos a couple of weeks back, and I tried cutting back how many veggies he was eating. Poos returned to normal almost immediately, so I think he may still be slightly too young for regular feedings of veggies (opinions?).

Tank details:
-Basking temps between 107* and 98* on his log. Can easily self regulate.
-24", 17W Reptisun 10.0
-Calcium with D3 4 times a week
-Vitamins twice a week
-Tile substrate

If you have any insight, further questions, or comments, please respond. I'll be keeping an eye on him in the meantime. Thank you guys!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....beardies will occasionally have a poo after lights out, nothing to be concerned with. And veggies are great and should increase hydration to a degree, but can you list what veggies they were ? The bulk of veg. diet should be greens like turnip, mustard, collard , cilantro, dandelion and some squash but not too much.

AdamP33

Original Poster
AHBD":38cb3wvh said:
Hi there....beardies will occasionally have a poo after lights out, nothing to be concerned with. And veggies are great and should increase hydration to a degree, but can you list what veggies they were ? The bulk of veg. diet should be greens like turnip, mustard, collard , cilantro, dandelion and some squash but not too much.

Of course, I fed him a mix of collard and mustard greens for his greens intake. It was a pre-mixed bag from the local organic produce store, Sprouts. I gave that a try rather than the full leaves since they were going bad so fast. Maybe the pre-mix didn't set right with him?

As far as veg, he gets butternut squash, yellow squash, and the occasional red bell pepper treat.

Have greens and veggies been known to cause runny stool? My concern was he had parasites, but I decided to try more protein, and that fixed the runny stool issue.

Also, I notice you say not too much squash. What's the reasoning behind that? That was most of what he ate, since he loves butternut and I always read it was good for them. I'd just like to know the details so I can fine tune his diet.

Thank you for the reply!

Edit: Also ordered 400 dubia last night. I really don't like feeding him so many supers.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
His diet sounds good, I suggested less squash because of the high water content. The leafy greens aren't as full of moisture and they're loaded with calcium + nutrients.

Sometimes what is perceived as too runny is actually just very good hydration. Could you post a pic of his poo since you've reduced the veg., then increase it again + take a pic of his poo after that ?

AdamP33

Original Poster
AHBD":ls87q17u said:
His diet sounds good, I suggested less squash because of the high water content. The leafy greens aren't as full of moisture and they're loaded with calcium + nutrients.

Sometimes what is perceived as too runny is actually just very good hydration. Could you post a pic of his poo since you've reduced the veg., then increase it again + take a pic of his poo after that ?

I can try to post pictures. Unfortunately my work schedule makes it hard to get a fresh picture. When it was "runny", it wasn't necessarily liquid, but wasn't a formed poo either. Was kind of a halfway solid pile if that makes sense. Didn't look like my idea of diarrhea.

After work I'll go get some fresh greens and cut back on squash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom