T5 UVB Light help

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriffinNC

My son and I just picked up our Bearded dragon Sat. We worked on the cage setup for quite awhile first. But now I'm reading maybe I'm wrong in how I have the lighting.

54655-3905259348.jpg

The UVB is a Reptisun 10.0 T5 in a Sunblaster fixture with reflector. Where he's sitting he is probably 9 inches from the lamp. Above him is his heat fixure, 75w basking light. Hot spot is running about 105-110 just to the right of where he sits. If I put it on top the cage he might actually be closer, around 7 inches. But there would be the screen.

Is that to much UVB where it's mounted? If I put it on the top it will be sitting on a screen probably 8" above him. Inside it is screwed into the cage. Any advice would be really helpful. Would a 5.0 be better in there or move it above?

Since we have gotten him he doesn't seem to eat real well either. A few crickets now and then, but nothing like I expected from a juvenile dragon. Could to much UVB cause the appetite to be down?

Thanks

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It is too close, yes Howver thru the screen t might be ok. I wouldn't switch from the 10.0 though. You've got a couple options. Increase the distance, remove the reflector, lower/move the basking spot. Personally I think the further we keep lights away the better - the sunblaster I have does a good job at 12-14" away.

This chart might help, the reptisun measurements are not in a sunblaster fixture but the second ones in the arcadia line are, I get similar readings in my sunblaster to those values. For dragons the max uvb should be in the yellow (3-5) range.

https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

He's realy cute perched up like that :3 his appetite migt still be off from relocation stress some of them are slower to settle into their new lives.

GriffinNC

Original Poster
If I'm reading the chart right pulling the reflector off might be my easiest solution. The cage is 3x2x18 so even above the screen would be really close. And if I lower his basking spot I would have to redo the heat lamps. Really wish UVB meters weren't so expensive.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
GriffinNC":136zlpdg said:
If I'm reading the chart right pulling the reflector off might be my easiest solution. The cage is 3x2x18 so even above the screen would be really close. And if I lower his basking spot I would have to redo the heat lamps. Really wish UVB meters weren't so expensive.

It's a shame :( they really are handy.

I used an unreflected fixture in my shorter enclosure and it worked fine. You could also hang it 10-12" over head through the screen and be alright too, but you may need to get clever with a hanger is all.

GriffinNC

Original Poster
Yea, I like having the fixture in the cage too. It keeps things clean looking around it. There isn't anywhere to hang the fixture from if I brought it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom