T5 5.0 versus 10.0 and reflector impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

neacail

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday I went to change my beardie's UV light, and I couldn't find the spare 10.0 that I know is somewhere in my house. It was in with the aquarium T5s a couple of months ago. "Not me" and "I dunno" have been up to mischief again.

The bulbs I have been using (T5 HO ReptiSun 10.0 UVB) have been suspended ~18" above the tile floor inside his enclosure (PVCX with a solid/non-screen roof). He can get up to ~4.5" closer to the fixture if he wants. The fixture (22"/24W) has a reflector on it.

I was able to turn up a T5 HO ReptiSun 5.0 24W UVB locally (after phoning around), so I figured it would do until I could get the 10.0 delivered.

I've now done some reading on comparing the two different bulbs. . . and I think I originally messed up by installing a reflector on the fixture. According to what I read here, a 5.0 with a reflector is about the equivalent of a 10.0 without a reflector.

I'm thinking that at ~18" above the tile floor, I should be using a 5.0 with a reflector or a 10.0 without a reflector: not what I had been doing. I'm thinking Orion is lucky that I didn't burn his eyeballs out.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help to clarify this for me.

Thx!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How are you using the lights? The 22" T5 10.0 can be used for the "sunbeam" method of lighting. This sets a high UV area in the basking zone and a gradient to the cool side, as well as offering shade and areas of 0 UVB through out the enclosure. You then want to arrange it so the dragon is unable to get closer than 12" away.

The information I have has the T5 5.0 reptisun as considerably weaker than the 10.0 but I'm not sure if that's accurate, as its measurements from a single bulb.

https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

neacail

Original Poster
Lol. I just went to dig out the post I had read about how a reflectors change things . . . and it is your post, Taterbug. :)

Taterbug":26ccgv3z said:
Indeed, the folks at the uv meter owners group on yahoo have! You can see their results in the "files" section if you have a yahoo account. There has also been a recent discussion on the matter. Essentially the 5.0 with a reflector is very similar in output to a 10.0 without a reflector. You could use either, configuration at the same distance (8-10") - though a 10.0 with a reflect can be used several inches further away (10-14"). Some folks have opted to use the 5.0 until replacemet time and then upgrade to a 10.0.

Here is the discussion thread: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/UVB_Meter_Owners/conversations/topics/8479

I got hung up one the one sentence ("Essentially the 5.0 . . .") and the rest of the post didn't sink in. So, in re-evaluting this, the 10.0 with the reflector is probably what I should use if I'm not going to lower the fixture by a couple of inches.

My setup isn't "standard." I wish I had a photo to post. It is actually a bit weird (there are bone chillingly cold environmental factors at work . . . I need to run ceramic heaters mounted to the ceiling of the enclosure along the back wall for months of the year, otherwise the enclosure temps get down to 55F).

The T5 fixture is located lengthwise in the middle of the enclosure, but it is shifted towards the front of the enclosure. Most of his time is spent underneath the t5 fixture. He can get out of the rays if he heads to the backwall of the enclosure, or if he goes to the far "cool side" of the enclosure.

His heat lamp is setup on the left ("warm side") of the T5 fixture. The "cool side" has no additional lighting. But, as he brumates on the left side, the left side has an additional ceramic heater for emergency use.

I'll be making some changes to his enclosure over the next few months. I'll either be updating this one with RHPs and/or heat tape, or I'll be building him a second enclosure for brumating in our basement (where the winter temperatures are much more stable).

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Go with an RHP, I don't think heat tape projects very well? I could be wrong. I have a heat panel for one of my snakes I love it to bits.

I can't tell from the description but with the long bulb do make sure he has shade, not just distance,to get out of the light.

neacail

Original Poster
Please excuse the filthy glass. I'm out of vinegar at the moment (and it keeps him from glass dancing).

IMG_0089_zps9ajfabmx.jpg

IMG_0088_zpsezswpbjo.jpg

In those photos (which are from today), it is almost 14" between his back and the (crooked) t5 fixture, with the reflector and the 5.0 bulb. Normally, he'll hang out between that green platform and the glass.

There are two keyless bulb holders on the ceiling of the enclosure (not where I wanted them, it should be noted . . . they were installed by the enclosure's builder). I just use them for outlets, as they're not ceramic (once again, not what I asked for). The one on the left controls the lighting, while the one on the right controls the CHEs (which have been removed as they're not needed right now). The CHEs go on the ceiling close to the back wall.

When I set up the enclosure like this, I was using a mercury vapour and a daylight t5. But, I discovered that in this enclosure I didn't have the distance I needed between the MVB and the floor of the enclosure. So, I had to use the t5 for UV and just use a heat lamp for basking. I plan on testing the Mega-ray 70 watt MVB in the near future, and hopefully go back to using the t5 as just a daylight bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peapthis
Top Bottom