Swollen Tummy

Status
Not open for further replies.

EStarstruck

Hello! So I just got my bearded dragon about a week and a half ago and she hasnt been eating too much (I discussed that in this thread here, you should probably look at it)
She's not sleeping in the day now thankfully and is eating a bit more. She eats the occasional cricket and a few wax worms.

Here's her setup: Paper is because the background isnt here yet and her reflection makes her nervous.
bI3aR2g.jpg

temps are 80-85 and 105-110. (fluctuates a tiny bit throughout the day.)
I dust everything she eats in calcium powder since she isnt eating much.

I don't actually know if Terezi is a boy or a girl but I just went with girl for now. Anyway she's about 7 weeks old.

Her belly is bigger than it was yesterday all of a sudden. Its not firm, but not soft. Kinda in the middle. Cant give you a picture at the moment but I'll have some in a bit. Its not like she;s going to burst or anything but it is noticeably larger (vertically especially) she's usually on the thinner side. She IS pooping like... once or twice a day. Its not runny and it looks normal. She drinks when I bathe her which is every other day. I gave her a warm bath today but she wasnt feeling it and didnt want to be handled and actually gave me a little nibble which she's never done before. ):

Any ideas? I'm taking her to the vet on the 6th (thats the soonest I can).

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Make sure to bring a stool sample to the vet so they can test it. A picture might help, but big bellies are very noticeable on dragons. My dragon always look huge after eating and right before pooping. It may be she needed to loo. And as for the wax worms, I would only give them every few days. They'll learn if they refuse other foods that they'll get treats because anxious owners just want them to eat. It may be she's just being spoiled and picky :D

EStarstruck

Original Poster
Varalidaine":39q78ifz said:
Make sure to bring a stool sample to the vet so they can test it. A picture might help, but big bellies are very noticeable on dragons. My dragon always look huge after eating and right before pooping. It may be she needed to loo. And as for the wax worms, I would only give them every few days. They'll learn if they refuse other foods that they'll get treats because anxious owners just want them to eat. It may be she's just being spoiled and picky :D
Oh my goodness I got a laugh out of this thank you. She takes after her owner. I wonder if she might just be a picky little princess. I hope that's the case :lol:
I'll get you a pic:
BzUA8mV.jpg

she decided to pose for me

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You should not feed wax worms to small dragons, it can cause impaction. They can't digest them properly.

EStarstruck

Original Poster
Gormagon":15xdh5b4 said:
You should not feed wax worms to small dragons, it can cause impaction. They can't digest them properly.
Oh goodness. D: I had no idea. I hope that's not the case. I'll stop feeding them to her right away.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. He's a looker. I'd fed wax worms as a treat as they are lime can't bars to them. They don't cause impaction. That is mealworms. Good feeders are Phoenix worms, silk worms, crickets and dubia roaches.

EStarstruck

Original Poster
destiny1998":26zckqdm said:
Hi. He's a looker. I'd fed wax worms as a treat as they are lime can't bars to them. They don't cause impaction. That is mealworms. Good feeders are Phoenix worms, silk worms, crickets and dubia roaches.

Awww thank you! She appreciates the compliments. OK I'll look into Phoenix worms! They're worth a try. :) And I'll stop giving her the wax worms. Bet she enjoyed the treats though!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I think I need a nap, I can't seem to get my worms straight tonight, my apologies. Its been a looooong day here on the farm, lol.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
The Waxworms are fine as treats, just only give them once a week or so. For babies, Pheonix Worms really are great. Nice, soft, squigy (no idea how to spell it, but I pronounce it scoo-wi-gee :) ), and have an ideal calcium to phosphorous ratio so they don't need dusting. I get all of my insects from http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/ They have every feeder you could ever want and I've always been pleased with them! Also, take a look at this nutrition list http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html It has greens, veggies, fruits, and insects on it all color coded with explanations of why they are good or bad. Great bookmark for when you're grocery shopping for your dragon.

The tummy looks normal to me. Just a fat happy dragon that needs to loo.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Already had lots of comments on waxworms, but it is best to avoid them....they can cause a baby dragon to vomit and may cause impaction if eaten in large amounts, but they usually can pass them. I just wanted to mention that as long as your baby is energetic + eating well it's best to wait until they've grown a few inches [ which doesn't take long ] before a vet visit + fecal test are done. Babies don't always tolerate deworming very well and can handle the meds. much better when they're a bit older if need be. Be sure your vet is experienced with beardies so they actually know what to prescribe if parasires are found. Hopefully your new baby will remain happy + healthy. :)

EStarstruck

Original Poster
Gormagon":3a324m6w said:
Either way he looks like a happy little bugger, lol
She's a sweet little girl who likes head pats. I'd like to think she's happy! :D
AHBD":3a324m6w said:
Already had lots of comments on waxworms, but it is best to avoid them....they can cause a baby dragon to vomit and may cause impaction if eaten in large amounts, but they usually can pass them. I just wanted to mention that as long as your baby is energetic + eating well it's best to wait until they've grown a few inches [ which doesn't take long ] before a vet visit + fecal test are done. Babies don't always tolerate deworming very well and can handle the meds. much better when they're a bit older if need be. Be sure your vet is experienced with beardies so they actually know what to prescribe if parasires are found. Hopefully your new baby will remain happy + healthy. :)
oops. She's eating okay. I think her tank might be too big for her to hunt and she gets distracted. Could I plop her in a smaller one to hunt? She may also have "stage fright" or something. She seems to eat better when me and my kitty aren't in the room. Mostly me cuz she doesn't seem to mind Stardust. I think she realizes that Stardust can't get her. How long should I wait to take her to the vet? :eek:

Varalidaine":3a324m6w said:
The Waxworms are fine as treats, just only give them once a week or so. For babies, Pheonix Worms really are great. Nice, soft, squigy (no idea how to spell it, but I pronounce it scoo-wi-gee :) ), and have an ideal calcium to phosphorous ratio so they don't need dusting. I get all of my insects from http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/ They have every feeder you could ever want and I've always been pleased with them! Also, take a look at this nutrition list http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html It has greens, veggies, fruits, and insects on it all color coded with explanations of why they are good or bad. Great bookmark for when you're grocery shopping for your dragon.

The tummy looks normal to me. Just a fat happy dragon that needs to loo.
She did, in fact, loo this morning. It was clear that she'd had some wax worms recently.... I'llsee if I can get her some phoenix worms since I've had a bunch of people suggest 'em.

Thank you guys so much! You've been so helpful. I'm a first time owner and so everything makes me paranoid ;w;

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Try putting feeders in a bowl, so they can hunt without them escaping. You can also try putting her in a feeding bin to hunt, but it will depend on the dragon. Neither my dragon nor my leopard gecko will eat when removed from their homes. I had my dragon for 1-2 month before going to the vet, as they can take quite awhile to settle in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom