Swollen toe (looks pink-ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asherology

Hi,
As this is my first post on here, I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this. Anyways, I just rescued my first ever reptile, Sparks, a few days ago and I noticed that his back toe seems to be swelling. It is at the end of his toe and looks a little bit pink/orange. I am pretty worried and I hope it is something that will just go away without needing emergency care or surgery. However, he has been eating well and is quite alert. He is an adult male that is about 1.5 years old. As I mentioned before, I am a newbie at taking care of bearded dragons. I have, however, taken care of one as a class pet a few years ago. I know that might not count as much, but it is something. Again, I am very very worried because he is my first reptile. I have done a lot of research but I never came across anything like this.
-
Info
UVB: Reptisun 10.0
Heat lamp: Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 75w
Substrate: Tile (rock textured, but not sharp)
Terrarium size: 45 gallon
Other items: Lizard hammock, Exo Terra Reptile Cave XL (he doesn't like to hide in it, but he likes to bask on it), Zoo Med Food Dish, All Living Things Basking and Bowl Combo, All Living Things Grape Driftwood Log
Temps: Cool side - 85, Warm side - 90, Basking - 94
Diet: Mostly veggies (sliced carrots occasionally, sliced celery, green leaf lettuce, etc.) and about 4-5 crickets a day. So, about 30 a week. I am going to purchase another source of protein soon, but for now I have the crickets. This is because I just got him and I did not want the insects dieing before he got home.
Calcium: Dust three times a week
Vitamins: Dust once a week
-
I do not know of anything that he could snag his back nails on. The hammock is right next to and a little above his basking zone, so he lays half on half off of the hammock. Thus, leaving his back legs off of the mesh. He only uses the hammock to sleep, as well. Also, he spends most of his time basking. He doesn't go near the cool side often, but does only when chasing crickets. (don't worry - I count them as he eats them to make sure none of them nip at him when he sleeps) In the cool side, I have the log. I imagined he would climb on it but he hasn't really even touched it. That doesn't really bother me, though. I don't think he would have snagged his claw on the bark. I'll attach an image.
IMG_7551.jpg

I am taking him to the vet soon anyways. Even if he didn't have this going on, I would still take him to the vet. Just for a check up.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
It does appear a bit swollen. Your basking temps are a bit low...shoot for 105°F-110°F. If its an infection you'll want to keep the immunity strengthen by the warm temps.
The swelling could be from a myriad of reasons. Possibly injury, infection, gout...hard telling for sure. I just noticed swelling, not the redness. Is the swollen area hard?

asherology

Original Poster
Rankins":2z9mmjzo said:
It does appear a bit swollen. Your basking temps are a bit low...shoot for 105°F-110°F. If its an infection you'll want to keep the immunity strengthen by the warm temps.
The swelling could be from a myriad of reasons. Possibly injury, infection, gout...hard telling for sure. I just noticed swelling, not the redness. Is the swollen area hard?
For the temps, I can raise it. I read that an adult should be at 95° at the most but I guess I got the wrong source. He regulates his temperature while basking, though. I might just have a dud thermometer. Anyways, I think it is the same as the other toes, maybe a tad bit harder. I tried to feel but he got a bit jerky and moved his leg away from me. I held him a few minutes ago to look at it and he didn't seem to show any pain when I touched it.
Edit: I just read the care sheet on this site for temperatures and it calls for 95°-105°F for an adult basking zone. I just lowered the lamps down a bit from their stand and that usually kicks the heat up a little.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, you got bad info :)
Keep an eye on the toe, and if your going to see the vet soon they can help figure out what to do. Might just be soft tissue injury if it isn't hard. If it was hard I would worry more about gout, or infection.

asherology

Original Poster
Rankins":q5jf0wc3 said:
Yep, you got bad info :)
Keep an eye on the toe, and if your going to see the vet soon they can help figure out what to do. Might just be soft tissue injury if it isn't hard. If it was hard I would worry more about gout, or infection.
Alright, thanks. Also, while looking into the temp thing, I just read that the stick on thermometers don't work at all. I have two of them on each side but I'll get rid of them. I just used a temp gun and the basking zone is pushing 114°. I am going to put the lamp back up a little now to get it within the right range.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah those analog dial ones are horribly inaccurate. Sounds like your temps were 20°F higher than you thought. Glad you rechecked them...raising the light should solve that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great you rechecked the temperatures. As suggested, raising the light will help with the temperatures. A range of 95-110 is sufficient though.
It is soft & not hard? Maybe there is some retained shed or shed that hasn't come off very well?
You can get some unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to put on the toe to help in case there is some infection going on.
Let us know how things are going with him.

Tracie

asherology

Original Poster
Drache613":1bqmhtb3 said:
Hello,

That's great you rechecked the temperatures. As suggested, raising the light will help with the temperatures. A range of 95-110 is sufficient though.
It is soft & not hard? Maybe there is some retained shed or shed that hasn't come off very well?
You can get some unpasteurized honey or manuka honey to put on the toe to help in case there is some infection going on.
Let us know how things are going with him.

Tracie

I want to say it feels much like the other toes. Though, it was a bit hard to tell as he kept moving his leg away from me. I just took him out of the cage and now as I am feeling it, he isn't moving his leg. Maybe he was just nervous in there and feels more comfortable when we're both at eye level. The reason I am mentioning this is because when I felt his toe in the cage, he SEEMED like he was in pain or that he was uncomfortable. Outside, he seems to be okay and a little pressure on it doesn't disturb him. It feels like the other toes, but I don't want to squeeze it or anything. So, if the definition of "hard" is like rock hard, then no it's not hard. It's a little rough but otherwise feels like the other toes. Rough as in the texture of it, not density. (if that makes sense?) It is not hard, as it feels the same compared to the other toes when applied small pressure. Though, it's texture is rougher than the other toes. Not in a significant amount, though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that makes sense though. Are there any other toes, fingers or hands/feet that have any swelling on them?
It could be a small possibility of gout, but, probably not. I would definitely watch the toe for further swelling. It seemed like it caused her pain? The vet could prescribe something for pain if needed.
Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Tracie

asherology

Original Poster
Drache613":1smdhyxq said:
Hello,

Ok, that makes sense though. Are there any other toes, fingers or hands/feet that have any swelling on them?
It could be a small possibility of gout, but, probably not. I would definitely watch the toe for further swelling. It seemed like it caused her pain? The vet could prescribe something for pain if needed.
Let us know how the vet visit goes!

Tracie
Nope, just the one. Also, the pain thing was the one part I was confused on. While in his terrarium, he flinched and jerked his foot away from me. Keep in mind I am above him at this point and so he might of thought I was threatening him. (I just got him so he isn't completely used to me yet) Once I took him out and held him close to me, he didn't mind me feeling his toe. I am thinking he just jerked because he was spooked, not because it hurt. Though, it may have hurt and he just didn't react the time he was out of his terrarium. However, he seems to walk fine and it doesn't look like it bothers him. I called the vet and the visit is going to have to be next week. I'll keep an eye on it until then.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Swollen toes mean an injury has occurred and the only thing on your list that comes to mind is that hammock. They are notorious for that, remove it or, cover it with fleece or some other no-snag material.

asherology

Original Poster
Gormagon":21e6n7dy said:
Swollen toes mean an injury has occurred and the only thing on your list that comes to mind is that hammock. They are notorious for that, remove it or, cover it with fleece or some other no-snag material.
I figured that. I actually covered it before I made my second post. It seems to be a no-snag fabric as I can't pick any threads off of it. Thanks for telling me, though. However, I don't think the hammock is the cause for this one. He never lays on it with his whole body. He lays half on half off. His upper arms are on it, while his lower legs are resting on his rock. In fact, it's a bit small and I don't think he could even get his back legs up there. He just likes to lay on it with his upper body.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is his toe looking this evening, any changes at all?
I hope it isn't getting any worse. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

asherology

Original Poster
Drache613":rkatnuom said:
Hello,

How is his toe looking this evening, any changes at all?
I hope it isn't getting any worse. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Hi,
I took him to the vet and it turns out it's an infection. The vet said it was most likely due to a fight he got into before I got him, as he had it the day I brought him home. He's on antibiotics. The vet said that worst case scenario, we would remove his nail or maybe his toe. Though, she said that isn't likely. Also, she said my temps should be at most 95...? She told me that Sparks is a sub-species because he is super light and a bit large for his age. Therefore, more sensitive to heat. I don't know how much of this is true, but i'll just monitor the temperatures. Otherwise, he's pretty healthy. (They also gave him an enema. I've had a side issue with him not pooping but we concluded that it's just relocation stress. No impaction/constipation.)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's too bad, an infection? Is it looking better yet?
The basking temperatures can be in a range of 95-105F with a cooler end of around 78-82F.
I hope the infection clears up quickly & you don't have to have the toe amputated.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom