Swollen Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

powhatanking

Original Poster
ok guys what is green slurries ? he will eat baby food with alfalfa with the calcium only and every other day. he weights 502 grams what dosage should i be giving him of serrapeptase 120.000 spu they are capules he will not eat greens at all he is drink the black cherry juice only with eyedropper he doesnt wait to drink else it with a eyedropper is still on the allopurinol every day watching weight closely and his front food seems to be swelling now any idea how often should we get him to drink and eat i know he needs his sleep but we still work 10 hr shifts what can we do to help him will not eat the phoniex worms at all. no crickets any ideas anyone thanks in advance

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Greens slurries are essentially home made baby food. Blend up a mix of greens and veges with water. Send it through a sieve to separate the big bits, then send it over a cheesecloth to get rid of excess water until what's left is baby food consistency so it will move through a syringe easily. Supplements can be added to that. The advantage is it's a bit cheaper than baby food and you can tweak the mixture however you'd like. You can provide a balanced diet this way. You could keep the slurry on the (slightly) watery side to provide extra hydration if you wish.

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Hi! Sorry to hear he is still not doing well. A greens slurrie is just greens (I used baby alfalfa since they are lower in purines but you can use mustard greens collard greens etc) mixed with water or pedialyte and blended to a liquid. Then I sprinkle a little serrapeptase into the liquified greens and use a dropper to administer. I don’t know the exact dose for serrapeptase, i just open the capsule a sprinkle a little into it ? you can also sprinkle some powdered vitamins or liquid calcium into it. This way, if he isn’t eating he still gets his calcium and vitamins each day. As for the fluids, my vet advised me to administer 1 ml every hour. I’m home with small kids anyway so I was able to giver her fluids throughout the day. I understand that’s not feasible for most people so I would suggest giving as much fluids as you can in the morning and again when you get home, if possible. The Allopurinol will eventually stop him from making more uric acid but the fluids are needed to wash out whatever uric acid is already in his system. The fluids are needed just as much as the allopurinol. I don’t think you could give him too much fluids. I was giving about 10 mls per day, but my bearded dragon weighed only 100 grams. I believe you said he weighed 500 grams, I would think he would get more fluids then. I liked doing the greens slurries, because their getting greens, fluids, serrappetase and calcium or vitamins all in one shot which is easier on us and less stressful on them. He’s a big boy so I wouldn’t worry about giving the live feeders as much as the greens and fluids. If hes eating the baby food great. Usually when the uric acid levels are so high and their kidneys are on overdrive they tend be thirsty so he may take the greens from the dropper with no problem, hopefully. Good luck!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry he isn't doing much better yet!
Since you have the serrapeptase capsules with powder, just give a small pinch, daily,
mixed in with his food. It isn't toxic so it would be hard to overdose him on it.
As suggested, water intake is very critical with gout, to flush their system while on the
meds. How much allopurinol is he on, what did the vet prescribe for him?

Tracie

powhatanking

Original Poster
thanks everybody I will try to make Allopurinal Is 0.25 ml I have being chopping the phoniex worms in half or smaller to get them in his systems I will try to get picture to day he is a great pet he does very well on the baby food I will try to make the slurries some time today I do use pedialyte mix with alfalfa meal and the serrapeeptase with baby food I just dont want him to get worse with this mixture I only do calcium very other day and at a small amount. I will reweigh he told but the worms that I am giving him soaked with this baby food seems to make a difference. I wish we had never got the baytril shots and found the correct vet. Most importantly if I knew more about he before I got him from the garage that he has at. Education is the key to everything. I don't regret getting him just me not spending more time with him before he got sick my husband always took care of him spending time with him he has so much personality. will update ya'll later today thanks so much

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm so sorry that you have had so much trouble getting him proper care. Is he doing pretty
well, eating & being active/basking?
He is no longer on any medication or any antibiotics, correct? I hope not! So he is on .25ml
of allopurinol, daily?
Be sure to keep him warm overnight, to help boost his immune system. I hope he is feeling
better soon.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Hello,

Do you happen to know the milligram of the allopurinol. .25 mls is the dose. Does is say allopurinol 40mg/ml towards the bottom of the bottle? Has the swelling gotten worse since the first pictures or any better? Hopefully you’ll start seeing some results soon ??

Danielle

powhatanking

Original Poster
ok everyone thanks Tracie and Danielle I hate holidays I work retail so it sucks but the allopurinol at the bottom of the bottle says allopurinol 100mg/ml-per ml direction say give .25 ml by mouth every 24 hrs for 30 days then give every 72 hrs for 3 years. was give on 11-7-17 he is still eating baby food and the last 2 days he is drinking more water although he now is doing to the bathroom more than usual it it only white watery liquid he will go when some one has him out or in the cage he has gone 5 times today he does pass the brown part but only once a day I feed him in the am after he warms up about 2 hrs after he wakes up (when the lights come on at 630 am) then again at 6 pm and leave him out until 830 but stop feeding him at 7pm because I want his body to digest the food I have thermostat at night what is the temps he need with him being sick at night or during the day his is more active then he was so just want to make sure that we are doing the best that we can

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Aww I know, like life isn’t busy enough now add the holiday season on top of that. Oh my, working in retail ? you must have the patience of a saint. I won’t even step into a mall at this time of year since I completely lack patience, which you can tell by my thread lmao ?

wow. So she’s getting 25 mg a day. That seems like a high dose but then again I’m no expert! I thought a high dose was 20 mg per kilogram of body weight but at 25 mg with a body weight of 500 grams that would be 50 mgs per kilo. Tracie would know more on this so I’m curious to see what she says just for my own education. Is he passing anything that resembles a urate. It doesn’t have to be chalky white because he’s getting increased fluids, it would probably be more of a jelly-like white urate. Is he only passing white water with his stool?

So he eats in the morning and again at 6 and then you keep him out until 830? Does that mean out of his tank? Right after he eats he should be placed directly under basking lamp for at least two hours to digest his food. I’m sure that’s what you meant just wanted to double check.

I wouldn’t worry about live feeders as much, most of his diet should consist of greens anyway. Since his kidneys are struggling right now trying to break down those live feeders lowering the amount down A great deal would be beneficial at this point. If you can get him to take the alfalfa powder (mixed into greens slurry or water/pedialyte) that’s all the protein he needs right about now.

Hope he continues to get better! Good luck!

Danielle

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy doing today?
Let me review your meds & dose! Your dragon is weighing 100 grams, correct & the strength
of the allopurinol is 100mg/ml? If that is the case, then the dose is .02ml. Maybe you loaded
the syringe wrong, or did I possibly tell you incorrectly? It's easy to look at the syringe wrong
too!
How is his eating coming along?
You are doing great, keep us posted on him!
Ugh, retail is a pain, especially during the holidays. Good luck with all of the customers.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That would be .25mls but technically at .25mls, that is a dose of 50mg/kg which is too high.
I would decrease that to the 20mg/kg right now.

Tracie

powhatanking

Original Poster
hey i posted a comment on the regular discussion board from my sons phone. that rango died on dec the 6th. i will miss him very much i and would like to thank all of you that helped me with him i will stay a member on this forum so that i can learn more before i decide to get another beardie. thanks again to everyone sincerely dawn and david king

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Dawn,

Gosh, I am so sorry for your loss of Rango, it is devastating to lose a precious family member. :cry:
I hope that you do stay around, learn, meet people & have fun here. There are a lot of great
people here!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom