Swollen/broken foot??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cubsfan44

Hi everyone,

My 3.5 month old bearded dragon has a swollen foot. I’m not sure if he got it caught on his new hammock or if he injured it in some way. I’m taking him to the vet next week and wondering if anyone has any advice in the mean time. It seems like he can move it but doesn’t put any weight on it and drags on.
109762-6547923121.jpg
109762-4225190659.jpg
109762-1511534015.jpg

Thanks!!

His foot does appear to be a bit swollen. If the hammock is of the green small holed varieties that could well be the culprit. Bearded dragon often get their toes caught in those and while trying to jump or move they sprain their foot. Or it’s possible he jumped off something and landed the wrong way. If he’s not putting any pressure on it and it’s clearly bothering him I would help him out by removing anything in his tank that requires much climbing. You want to keep him from needing to use the foot much until you can get to the vet. It’s unlikely he has gout at this young of an age, but the vet can help determine that as well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The ankle/foot area is swollen, but hopefully nothing is broken! The x-rays should help to
determine whether or not there is anything broken. For now, try to get the basking area
lowered to where he doesn't have to move very much or climb in case he is injured.
Which UVB lighting are you currently using? Is it a long tube bulb, or a compact/coil type
of light?

Tracie

Cubsfan44

Original Poster
Shadowablaze":1d051ckp said:
His foot does appear to be a bit swollen. If the hammock is of the green small holed varieties that could well be the culprit. Bearded dragon often get their toes caught in those and while trying to jump or move they sprain their foot. Or it’s possible he jumped off something and landed the wrong way. If he’s not putting any pressure on it and it’s clearly bothering him I would help him out by removing anything in his tank that requires much climbing. You want to keep him from needing to use the foot much until you can get to the vet. It’s unlikely he has gout at this young of an age, but the vet can help determine that as well.

Thank you! I hope it isn’t broken and just sprained. Any suggestions how to care for him until we see the vet later this week?

Cubsfan44

Original Poster
Drache613":13sjr2k4 said:
Hello,

The ankle/foot area is swollen, but hopefully nothing is broken! The x-rays should help to
determine whether or not there is anything broken. For now, try to get the basking area
lowered to where he doesn't have to move very much or climb in case he is injured.
Which UVB lighting are you currently using? Is it a long tube bulb, or a compact/coil type
of light?

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Thanks for your advice! I’m using the T8 tube UVB inside the tank, temps are great and he’s eating well. I just hope it’s a sprain but I’ll find out later this week at the vet. So many things go through your mind when you see something like this especially when his mobility is limited I just feel so bad for him. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, that sounds good. Is the tube bulb directly overhead also?
How is the ankle looking today?
Hopefully he just sprained it somehow, that does happen. You could soak his foot in a warm
epsom salt water bath, to see if that helps to reduce any of the swelling.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom