Swallowed silk from her silkworms

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiyohime

Help! I was just feeding my beardie silkworms and I was trying to get this balled up piece of silk, silkworm pellet food and possibly silkworm poop off of this one silkworm. By accident I dropped it in Kiyo's tank and she gulped it down faster than I could grab it! It was about the size of a small marble and I'm really worried she won't be able to digest it. She's about 180 grams and 13 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions? Will she be okay?

Beardys Rock

Hatchling Member
I imagine it will be okay, just give a 20 minute bath daily and maybe get some veg into your dragon.

Just keep a general eye on it, hope things go okay :mrgreen: :wink:

Austin

kiyohime

Original Poster
Yeah, that was my plan. My boyfriend told me that she pooped this morning, but I'm assuming the ball hasn't been digested yet. I'll take her to the vet if she doesn't make a second poop by Wednesday.

Thanks for the concern!

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
There are other steps you can take before you go to the vets.

Natural laxatives that will help your baby pass the ball are:
Unsweetened apple sauce
a drop or two of Olive Oil

You also want at least two nice warm baths a day massaging gentley down his right and left side from his armpit right down to his vent.

The easiest way to get your baby to eat the laxatives is by dipping a worm in apple sauce or olive oil.
It should help get things moving along with the baths. When Ruben was badly blocked up with sand these helped work him through it and we were able to avoid a costly vet visit.
Try the oil and sauce and if you dont see results in 3 days then you can book yourself a vet visit.

Just my advice from my past experiences.

All the best.
Holly

kiyohime

Original Poster
Thanks! That's some good advice. I actually have on stock some sugarless baby food (sweet potato and peas, both only contain water and the veggie) that she LOVES eating (treats ONLY) so I could put a drop or two of olive oil in that tonight and see if that will help her out. She gets baths regularly and loves them, so I'll be sure to bathe her as well.

kiyohime

Original Poster
Just an update for anyone who has looked at this thread. Kiyo pooped this mrning and is eating well, so I think she'll be okay! Thanks for the concern and advice.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Great news!
Glad to hear your little one is eating again aswell.
What a little trooper.

Holly

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Nope.
They jsut wont digest them aswell as the choking hazzards.

The feeders need to be no bigger than the space between their eyes when they are young.

USMILE143

I heard that silkworms are ok to give bigger, because they are easy to digest. Is this true? How many silkworms should a baby be eating 3 months old?

kiyohime

Original Poster
I feed my 13 1/2" beardie medium to full sized silkworms and she has absolutely no problem digesting them or swallowing them. She poops every day and takes small bites when she eats the bigger ones. One big silkworm is a lot more food than one cricket (probably a 2-3" silkworm = 10-15 crickets). I feed my beardie 1 big one and a 3-4 medium sized silkworms a day and 15-20 crickets a day. She gets 1-2 waxworms a day if I buy them as a treat. Silkworms are better feeders than crickets, although I hear dubias are really good, too (not really down with breeding roaches at the moment). Silkworms apparently have an enzyme that helps absorb calcium and reduces arteriole plaque, plus they have a low fat content, high protein content and no chitin to bother digestion.

I think a baby might have a hard time eating really big silkworms, though. I won't feed Kiyo goliath worms until she's full size for this reason (although I can't wait and I bet she can't, too!). I wouldn't feed babies under 12" anything bigger than the medium sized ones (1/2 inch to 1 1/2 inch). Silkworms don't have a shell made out of chitin like crickets or dubias, so you don't exactly have to follow the "smaller than between the eyes" rule as strictly.

Some links:
http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ This is where I get my silkworms. I live in Los Angeles so it's actually easier/cheaper to find buckets of mixed ones in pet shops.
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutritionframeset.html A lot of people have recommended this website to me for figuring out what to feed your beardie. Really great website!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pete5775
Top Bottom