Suspected respiratory infection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

twinmommy

I don't have any experience on the Baytril /Bactrim thing. My point was Bactrim IS prescribed to treat URI in bearded dragons. I don't know why this particular vet decided to go with this particular drug vs. Baytril. Maybe the vet will change the prescription. I figured out the drug calc and it looks like the dragon would be getting 50mg/kg which is in the recommended range based on the pediatric concentrationwhich, is what is used for reptiles.
My son, 7, took the Bactrim about a month ago for strep throat. He has allergies to PCN and cephalosporins. He had already finished a Z -Pack 3 months ago for strep so the same med was not used again. Bactrim is still widely prescribed for kids with allergies to other meds. Quinolones are really avoided in kids.

Anyway, I was just trying to help. Hope your dragon gets better soon.

Rory

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3r3gx8tt said:
Hello,

No, do not give anymore Albon for him right now, it wont do a thing for the respiratory infection. I am surprised the vet did not give you the strength of the solution!
Is there a feed store or something of that nature, in your area? You could try to find some tylan which is used for respiratory issues, also.

How is he doing today? Is he still having diarrhea?

Tracie

Gosh, I am not sure about feed stores. I've never had to look.

I will stop the bactrim for now until I can get the strength of the medicine from the vet on Monday. They told me to stop giving it to him anyways if he gets the runs again. He has not had any more bouts of diarrhea since the first, but then again he is sleeping right now, and I won't be able to update you guys until I get out of work this afternoon on how he's feeling. My roommate is supposed to be making sure he has greens, and that he gets water. I also ordered a pro-biotic for him last night.

Is it still safe to soak him for hydration, considering he has an URI? I am getting mixed information about it.

Also, Foster's URI isn't really -that- severe. He's not gasping for breath, there's no mucous that I've seen being expelled and no coughing. He breathes fine 99% of the time other than once in a while, I'll catch him with his mouth cracked slightly in the cool part of his tank. He does 'pop' though. He is also still eating and drinking, and I am keeping a CHE on his tank at night to keep the temps up. No black beards or lethargic behavior. Theoretically, he ought to be good until Monday morning if I can't get my hands on some other medicine?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
twinmommy":1dy0k1bp said:
My son, 7, took the Bactrim about a month ago for strep throat. He has allergies to PCN and cephalosporins. He had already finished a Z -Pack 3 months ago for strep so the same med was not used again. Bactrim is still widely prescribed for kids with allergies to other meds. Quinolones are really avoided in kids.

Anyway, I was just trying to help. Hope your dragon gets better soon.

We are all trying to help, that is for sure. There are more people asking for help on this forum than there are people able to give it. The kindness of others, yourself included, keep this forum a productive place. And yeah, we all brainstorm, guess, hope and pray for other member's reptiles. We try to apply human medicine to them when all else fails.

I've never worked in pedes but yes, if you are allergic to cephalosporins or penicillin, and a macrolide didn't help, then I could see that. I have multiple antibiotic allergies myself. Still, the 'SMZ-TMP' combo has a lot of side effects for nearly every system of the body. :eek:

My vet prescribed 'SMZ-TMP' for a sinus infection in my horse back in the 1990's. I have to wonder about Rory's vet because if he was paying any attention to the advances in his field in the last decade he would have chosen something more appropriate. :?

Rory, it didn't sound like the URI was that bad yet either, and I remember the advice to stop it if there was more diarrhea. Yes soaking during a URI is a good idea, for hydration, while he is on the medications. Since you are stopping them, I would be comfortable with giving him oral fluids over the weekend and keeping a close eye on his hydration.

I hope he doesn't worsen, and I hope you can keep his relative humidity low. GOOD LUCK to you and your little guy.

Rory

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You are all absolutely amazing for the help you have given me with Foster.

I will continue to keep him hydrated. There has been no more diarrhea, but I see no point of keeping him on the harsh medicine when it apparently won't help with what he has anyways. I will get Baytril on Monday. He is eating well (supers and salad), and begrudgingly drinking his water. How much should I try to get him to drink? I got him to take most of a 1 mL syringe earlier, but he is being fussy. I suppose it's a good sign if he's being spunky with me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please let us know how Foster is doing. I hope he is eating well, too.

Tracie

Rory

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
An update for everyone. Foster is eating very well since I stopped his meds, and I was able to call the vet's office this morning.

The vet tech told me that the trimeth-sulfa was prescribed because the vet was worried about parasites being a possible factor in his URI and wanted to try and kill two birds with one stone, so to speak(despite that his fecal in Feb. was clean and I told her about the prolonged humid conditions?). The doctor didn't say a word of this to me when I was there... I am starting to think that I need to see if I can find another reptile vet close to me. It does not sound to me like they know what the heck they are talking about, and I'm no reptile expert myself. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The GOOD news, however, is that they are going to have Baytril ready for me in a few hours to pick up, so we can get the pricklepuss all healthy again. Maybe not happy, but healthy. Nothing makes him happy when he's shedding, lol!

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Parasites can cause a URI - I just had this same discussion with someone else. Tracie, what is your opinion? I don't know what parasite it is, however. The fact that your home wss very humid and your sheets were wet from the humidity made me think that was the cause. Did he say what parasite he suspects? I'd prefer to give him the Baytril and then a different med for the parasite....right? :?

I'm just glad he is eating well and you're getting the Baytril. If I were you, to rule out the parasite issue I would bring in a fecal sample and have them run it, if that were a concern. What do you think?

Rory

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Parasites weren't even a concern when I brought him in. He hasn't shown any signs of having any. No stinky or runny poops, good appetite, growing like a weed, no strange behavior... They asked me to bring in a fecal sample, but he hasn't pooped since Friday, so there's not much I can do on short notice unless he decides to take one before I go. I thought it was weird the vet didn't mention any concerns about parasites at all when I was there. Wouldn't it make sense to mention that?

Rory

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I got Foster's Baytril, took it home, dosed it out... Then spilled the rest of it onto the floor. :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5:

It's a 2 hour round trip to get there and back with how bad the traffic is. I'm so mad right now...

Rory

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Foster is doing well, but he hates the medicine with a burning passion. I just dosed him, and now he's hiding in his 'cave' and glaring at me. I have dubbed it the 'medicine glare'.

b3kkt5.jpg

But as a thanks to ya'll, I managed to snap this before I gave him his meds. :lol:

2poe2s4.jpg

Rory

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for touching in. Foster's vet visit is tomorrow for a re-check.

He has been doing well, though he absolute hates the medicine, and I am getting a lot of 'medicine glares' lately. He is still eating, though a little bit less than usual. This doesn't surprise me a lot, since he is shedding on his face now, which makes him super cranky. He's a growing boy, and still putting on weight (505 grams this morning, though he's due for a poop), so I am not worried about him eating less. :roll: Keeping a CHE on in his tank at night to keep temps up, and he gets a daily soak for fluids, and some orally if I can get him to drink. I started him on acidophiluz yesterday when it arrived. I gave him that in the morning, and his medicine in the afternoon. I assumed it was a good idea to space them out just so they wouldn't counter-act somehow?

He is still 'popping', but I have not seen him gaping in the cool part of his tank anymore. He isn't quite cured, but I am pretty sure I am seeing an improvement in his condition. There has been no more diarrhea, either. I haven't been able to get a fecal sample, because he pooped Tuesday and Saturday, both days I was at work and my roommate forgot that I needed to save a sample and cleaned them up. :|

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Well, at least you have someone around that will clean up! Maybe just a bit too clean right now, but it's still a nice thing. :D I really hoped the diarrhea would clear up with stopping the sulfa med, like it does in horses. That is so interesting to me, wonder if they are related.

Sounds like you have made your home into a beardie hospital! :lol: It sounds like all the nursing is paying off with him gaining weight. And yes the AcidolphiLiz should be spaced out at least 6 hours from the other medication, good thinking.

I'm glad he is doing well - I am sure just like people it takes a few weeks to get over a respiratory infection. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom