Suspected liver issues please help

ashmashx

Beardie name(s)
Ernie
Liver problems

I'm absolutely heart broken, my lovely bearded dragon Ernie is about 6 years old (adopted 2 years ago) and he started having stomach spasms. The vet put it down to him being overweight. 2 weeks later he vomited up his food and he hasn't eaten since. I've been feeding him emeraid by syringe twice a day. He is still basking but very lethargic. I went back to the vets after the vomiting episode and ultrasound showed potential liver and gall bladder abnormalities, I have just had his blood tests back which showed slightly elevated proteins and enzymes related to the liver. The vet has told me to see if he improves on anti nausea medication and if not bring him back in for more tests. I mentioned the weight gain wss only his stomach and asked if it could be fluid build up and the vet said they could drain some of that and see. He has not vomited since but he's still off his normal food.

Is there anything that can help this situation? I'm starting to lose hope. I don't have much confidence that the vet knows exactly what is causing this and I feel helpless. I just want to do the best by my little guy it's just all come along so quick and I'm heartbroken 💔

Any advice would be much appreciated

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Liver problems

I'm absolutely heart broken, my lovely bearded dragon Ernie is about 6 years old (adopted 2 years ago) and he started having stomach spasms. The vet put it down to him being overweight. 2 weeks later he vomited up his food and he hasn't eaten since. I've been feeding him emeraid by syringe twice a day. He is still basking but very lethargic. I went back to the vets after the vomiting episode and ultrasound showed potential liver and gall bladder abnormalities, I have just had his blood tests back which showed slightly elevated proteins and enzymes related to the liver. The vet has told me to see if he improves on anti nausea medication and if not bring him back in for more tests. I mentioned the weight gain wss only his stomach and asked if it could be fluid build up and the vet said they could drain some of that and see. He has not vomited since but he's still off his normal food.

Is there anything that can help this situation? I'm starting to lose hope. I don't have much confidence that the vet knows exactly what is causing this and I feel helpless. I just want to do the best by my little guy it's just all come along so quick and I'm heartbroken 💔

Any advice would be much appreciated
Please post the blood work results gonna have Tracie look at them and help you here --- she is the vet tech mod on here
@Drache613

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I don't have any advice, but i am sending well wishes your way. Please keep us posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is always hard to get news like that. Hopefully things aren't as bad as they may seem.
What is his weight, estimated, do you know?
Definitely post his blood test results when you get them, so I can take a look at them. Has his
beard been dark in color lately?
What supplementation are you currently giving him (other than the Emeraid you have right now),
& what insects, etc does he eat on a normal basis?
You can start him on Milk thistle to help with liver function. The liver does have regenerative
properties so it can heal & become healthy again with some work.
Keeping him on a lower fat diet will definitely help out, so his body doesn't have to work so hard
to metabolize too much fat.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

ashmashx

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ernie
I have weighed him today and hes 600g, he seems to have lost a lot of weight in the last week as I remember him being close to 700g and overweight last time he was weighed by the vet in June.

I have managed to get the blood test results and I have attached them, thank you so much for taking a look. His beard tends to go dark in the evening and thats when he tends to get more defensive and uncomfortable too. I have bought some milk thistle tablets and have put a tiny bit in his emeraid but I am unsure on the dosage I should be doing or whether I should try and find some liquid milk thistle. The vet has given him Emeprid for nausea but this doesnt seem to be doing anything for him, he hasnt had another vomiting episode since last week since he has been on the Emeraid.

He hasnt had an appetite for any solid food since the vomiting episode but before then he was eating super worms and dubias as his insects and Rocket, pea shoots, coriander and blueberries as his veggies (blueberries are normally his favourite!)

The vet wants to see him for another ultrasound next week but I am unsure of the next steps they are looking to take.

Thanks for your reply it means a lot, its so hard to know what to do for the best I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Attachments

• O'CONNELL Ernie - 08-07-23 - 1.pdf
    104 KB · Views: 85

ashmashx

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ernie
I don't have any advice, but i am sending well wishes your way. Please keep us posted.
Thank you so much, I definitely will do he's really not himself and I can tell he's in a lot of pain, I'm going back to the vet tomorrow for a second ultrasound scan

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have weighed him today and hes 600g, he seems to have lost a lot of weight in the last week as I remember him being close to 700g and overweight last time he was weighed by the vet in June.

I have managed to get the blood test results and I have attached them, thank you so much for taking a look. His beard tends to go dark in the evening and thats when he tends to get more defensive and uncomfortable too. I have bought some milk thistle tablets and have put a tiny bit in his emeraid but I am unsure on the dosage I should be doing or whether I should try and find some liquid milk thistle. The vet has given him Emeprid for nausea but this doesnt seem to be doing anything for him, he hasnt had another vomiting episode since last week since he has been on the Emeraid.

He hasnt had an appetite for any solid food since the vomiting episode but before then he was eating super worms and dubias as his insects and Rocket, pea shoots, coriander and blueberries as his veggies (blueberries are normally his favourite!)

The vet wants to see him for another ultrasound next week but I am unsure of the next steps they are looking to take.

Thanks for your reply it means a lot, its so hard to know what to do for the best I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting the blood test results!
How is he doing today?
The values on the blood test overall, are not bad at all. His AST or his liver enzymes are on the
upper counts on the chart. It is still in range though. That doesn't necessarily mean he has liver
issues but it is a good idea to try to get the levels down. The liver does have regenerative abilities
so try keeping him on a low fat diet & the milk thistle powder or liquid for liver support. What is the
strength of the milk thistle tablets? If you have a mortar & pestal or a way to compound into some
powder that would be easier.
I'm glad he hasn't thrown up since the first time, poor guy! I hope he can get stabilized & not be in
any pain.
How are his fat pads looking, since he has lost some weight?

Tracie

ashmashx

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ernie
Hello,

Thanks for posting the blood test results!
How is he doing today?
The values on the blood test overall, are not bad at all. His AST or his liver enzymes are on the
upper counts on the chart. It is still in range though. That doesn't necessarily mean he has liver
issues but it is a good idea to try to get the levels down. The liver does have regenerative abilities
so try keeping him on a low fat diet & the milk thistle powder or liquid for liver support. What is the
strength of the milk thistle tablets? If you have a mortar & pestal or a way to compound into some
powder that would be easier.
I'm glad he hasn't thrown up since the first time, poor guy! I hope he can get stabilized & not be in
any pain.
How are his fat pads looking, since he has lost some weight?

Tracie
He's doing OK, he's always much brighter in the mornings! Thank you so much for your reply and that brings me comfort to know its not too bad.

I saw a different vet today who seems so knowledgeable about reptiles and was happy to explain things in laymans terms. He confirmed he has lost 100g since June and his tailbase is quite bony and the fat pads on his head are a bit sunken now. He said he could feel the fluid in his stomach and swelling around the liver area. He said next steps testing wise it would be a fluid drain or a biopsy and a biopsy would be the most accurate however its very high risk for him. He said it could be viral or a bacterial infection but its hard to tell. He had a hard 4 years before I got him, he was rescued by a kind man who saved him from deaths door as his first owners gave him sand substrate which resulted in an eye infection and him nearly going blind. I do wonder given his past whether it could be ADV. The vet has given him baytril for 2 weeks then a follow up to see if it could be bacterial and it helps and if he further declines to make a decision then. He also said to boost his temps and keep his viv warm at night.

I'll take a picture of the back of these milk thistle tablets to show you the ingredients, if they're not the right ones I'll head to the shop and get something else for him! I've been a bit hesitant giving him it as I don't know if they're the right ones so I've just been putting a tiny sprinkle in his emeraid. I've also ordered some silkworms incase he will eat them but they haven't arrived yet!

Thanks again for your reply and the support from this forum its so reassuring to have others to speak to about this 🥰

Attachments

• 16895836683926071147832668906904.jpg
    16895836683926071147832668906904.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's doing OK, he's always much brighter in the mornings! Thank you so much for your reply and that brings me comfort to know its not too bad.

I saw a different vet today who seems so knowledgeable about reptiles and was happy to explain things in laymans terms. He confirmed he has lost 100g since June and his tailbase is quite bony and the fat pads on his head are a bit sunken now. He said he could feel the fluid in his stomach and swelling around the liver area. He said next steps testing wise it would be a fluid drain or a biopsy and a biopsy would be the most accurate however its very high risk for him. He said it could be viral or a bacterial infection but its hard to tell. He had a hard 4 years before I got him, he was rescued by a kind man who saved him from deaths door as his first owners gave him sand substrate which resulted in an eye infection and him nearly going blind. I do wonder given his past whether it could be ADV. The vet has given him baytril for 2 weeks then a follow up to see if it could be bacterial and it helps and if he further declines to make a decision then. He also said to boost his temps and keep his viv warm at night.

I'll take a picture of the back of these milk thistle tablets to show you the ingredients, if they're not the right ones I'll head to the shop and get something else for him! I've been a bit hesitant giving him it as I don't know if they're the right ones so I've just been putting a tiny sprinkle in his emeraid. I've also ordered some silkworms incase he will eat them but they haven't arrived yet!

Thanks again for your reply and the support from this forum its so reassuring to have others to speak to about this 🥰
Tracie sells liquid milk thistle on her website - I am giving it to Blaze now

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your boy?
That milk thistle should be fine. Are you
able to get it crushed up into a fine powder?
If so, let me know. Since it is powder, it should
be able to be at least estimated on the amount
for a conservative dose. A little extra of it wont
hurt though.
Since she is on Baytril right now, do your best
to keep her well hydrated so it doesn't dry her
out too badly.

Tracie

ashmashx

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ernie
Hello,

How is your boy?
That milk thistle should be fine. Are you
able to get it crushed up into a fine powder?
If so, let me know. Since it is powder, it should
be able to be at least estimated on the amount
for a conservative dose. A little extra of it wont
hurt though.
Since she is on Baytril right now, do your best
to keep her well hydrated so it doesn't dry her
out too badly.

Tracie
Thank you so much Tracie! I would have bought the one from you but unfortunately I'm based in the UK! He's doing OK he had much more of an appetite thismorning, he does not like the baytril! I have syringe fed him before giving it to him today as he was not in the mood for food after it yesterday!

I can definitely crush these tablets up into a powder so I'm pleased they are OK to give to him!

I will try and give him some fluid if he will take it! He's a very stubborn boy.

Thank you for all your help again I really appreciate it 🥰

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom