surgery to remove home after radiation treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedneato

Sub-Adult Member
I just returned from the vet and she wants to do surgery to remove a tumor above Neato's eye. She poked it with a needle. It showed no pus or infection so it's not an abscess. She said there was large cells in the sample. So she feels she needs to remove the tumor.

I had thought the swelling was due to an irritation caused by having a megray eb bulb. But removing the bulb didn't help and the swelling above Neato's eye has got bigger.

I am terrified to put Neato under to remove the tumor. He is 6 1/2 years old.

Has anyone had to have their beardie put under for surgery??? She said she was use gas not injections.

Khammy87

Gas anesthesia is generally safe for most critters, especially sevoflorane. What is nice about Sevoflorane is the fact that it is quickly eliminated from the body as the animal exhales. They do take a little longer for them to go under, but once they are under, the procedure can be done, and the animal can be quickly woken up. I would be sure to be dealing with a vet that has experience with reptile anesthesia and surgery. Generally speaking, the tumor is going to be more of a risk with your pet than the anesthesia is. I would go for it.

Khammy87

Another option could also be to re-take a fine needle aspirate and have it sent to a pathologist to determine what the growth is. The pathologist should be able to give you an idea whether to remove it or not.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, does she suspect cancer possibly? Did they send off the cells to be tested at the lab?
If he is very healthy, then, at that age, he should come through a surgery as long as the anesthesia is given properly & the ventilation is done correctly. The Sevoflurane is certainly fine, as it does have low blood gas solubility so the recovery would be faster than with other anesthesics. Has the vet discussed which anesthesia would be used? However, there has not been very much research done on the effects of Sevoflurane in reptiles though, at least not yet.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

beardedneato

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Neato's surgery is this morning. Thanks for your answers. I have no clue what kind of gas will be used. The vet will send off the tumor to see if it is cancer. I'm so scared for my Neato.

Any ideas on what I'll need for his after care? I figured I'd sterilize his tank and rocks while he is at the vet. Keeping the wound clean should be interesting.

Khammy87

The vet will probably give you something to keep the surgery site clean at home. Just be sure to use everything the vet tells you as he prescribes. Also, I would increase his temps in his cage during healing.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

beardedneato

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I can pick Neato up at 4 pm eastern time zone. He is alert so we will just have to wait to see if it is cancer or what. I will be putting eye drops in and giving antibiotic every other day. I'm to keep him warm and the wound clean. She will give me a after care sheet when I pick him up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Definitely let us know how Neato is doing later today. I am sure that everything went fine. Waiting to know whether or not the tumor is cancer or not is the hardest part I believe.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

beardedneato

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
My boss is letting me bring Neato to work with me. Which is great. I would have worried all day.

He is still not at all alert. He will wiggle and open his eyes when I pick him up but I'm concerned. I dont know if it is the pain shot or the anesthesia. I'm going to try to get him to eat before work.

He definitely knows how to make me worry.

Khammy87

What did they give you for a pain injection? If it's an opiod, that's normal.. If its not, then you may want to consult your veterinarian.

beardedneato

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It was an opiod. The vet called last night and knows I am worried.

He did eat this morning so that was relief. He still will not walk around but sat up really high and ate.

DoubleJ

Juvie Member
I am obviously not an expert,but maybe he is choosing not to move around because,aside from any pain he is feeling, he knows that his balance is a bit off. As that comes back maybe he wll become more active. Just a thought. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great you were able to take Neato to work with you! How nice of your boss to allow that.
How is he doing today?
The opoid is fine, if that is what he was given for paid. It will take awhile for it to wear off fully. If he gets some food into his system, it will help it metabolize a little bit faster. Has he shown any interest in food yet?
It sounds like he is alert & should start moving around a little bit more as he feels more steady on his feet.
Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toothadash
Top Bottom