Superworm ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Ok, so I got my first order of superworms yesterday - 1000 of them. I went to the store and bought some wheat germ and some oats (I pulverized the oats and mixed them up). I threw it all into a shoebox-sized storage bin. Now all the worms are on top of the stuff! They were all digging around in the stuff, but now they are all up top. Climbing all over each other and stuff - it's kind of gross. Am I doing something wrong? I read around a lot before I ordered these creepy things in bulk and it seems that is how others do it. Should I put more stuff in the bottom? There is at least 2.5" of stuff - without worms. Should I get a bigger container?

hartungs

Hatchling Member
Hey there. If you think that they are too crowded, you can always put them in something larger, but I think that you will be just fine with the set up that you have. I would just put something in there so they can climb in/on and give them more surface space. Maybe some egg crates (laying flat) or paper towel/toilet paper rolls. They do like to go in and hide. Are you planning on starting a breeding colony?

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
hartungs":736fd said:
Hey there. If you think that they are too crowded, you can always put them in something larger, but I think that you will be just fine with the set up that you have. I would just put something in there so they can climb in/on and give them more surface space. Maybe some egg crates (laying flat) or paper towel/toilet paper rolls. They do like to go in and hide. Are you planning on starting a breeding colony?

I was considering it, but Blaze is just now big enough to eat them, and I am hoping to reduce the amount of protein the big guys are eating soon (rescues, they rarely had live feeders before). So.. I'm not sure. I'd like to start a dubia colony, too.. if I can ever get the $.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
put some sliced apples in there too. I just got 100 supers and have them in around 4 inches of oats in a container about the diameter of a dinner plate. I put some sliced apples in there and they ate all of it within a day so i know they where pretty dehydrated. it will make them live longer :p

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Elora":89fb3 said:
put some sliced apples in there too. I just got 100 supers and have them in around 4 inches of oats in a container about the diameter of a dinner plate. I put some sliced apples in there and they ate all of it within a day so i know they where pretty dehydrated. it will make them live longer :p

I put in some greens and squash cuz that's what I had. I was pretty shocked by how fast it went, too... I should know better, since the crix can eat so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom