Superworm question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samajade

I just bought a small container of 50 superworms for my new adult beardie. (Trying to get him off the gross crickets.) I dumped out whatever stuff the store had in the container (big chain store - never trust that they're kept well...) and after some research found that oatmeal and a high quality gutload was good for them. So I mixed it nearly half and half - oatmeal and Repashy's Insect Gut Load. Left them for a bit over 24 hours and just gave a bunch to him. I have 3 questions:

Is it all right that some of them had some of the oatmeal still on them when he ate them? That won't hurt him in any way, right?

And I've read that you should put either a carrot or potato in the container for them to get moisture, OR you can use the stuff like "Cricket Quencher" or whatever it's called that is like small cubes of gel stuff that they get moisture from. I used the latter since I had some for the crickets. Said you're supposed to put it on the top and that the oatmeal etc should not get too wet as it's bad for the worms AND could lead to mites. ?? Okay, that's great, except they themselves churned it up so much that all those little cubes wound up like an inch or more down and there were these big ol' clumps of moist oatmeal. What am I doing wrong?

And last - I've read that if they don't chew them up really really well, they can hurt his stomach lining with their mouths or something. :shock: He chewed almost all of them (could hear them crunch), but not every one. Need I worry here?

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
all is well. don't worry about the beardie eating the substrate ;)

just change the moisture source daily (or every 2 days) and you shouldnt have a prob with mites. and change the substrate when it gets very fine like sand.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Yeah, your fine. :)

I just dump in Dudleys left over salad to feed them, whick is pretty just dried up greens and some squash pieces. I dont put in fresh food- its too moist, and everything gets moldy.
And the head thing is a myth. Some people believe that super worms will chew a whole through their beardies stomach if they arent killed right away, but it is impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom