Superworm poo problem- update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Basti has been feeding on mostly supers for the last months or so, he seems to digest them well but when he poos, he really has to strain. His poo is generally well formed, maybe even a bit squishy but its almost like he is partially blocked up. Some days he lays around looking bloated and can only go poo in the bath.
Have any of you who feed supers as staple had any problem with this? The supers are almost gone and he will be switching to roaches soon.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I don't think its a water problem, the poo is pretty soft and never hard but I will try it.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
What you could try is to feed him newly shedded supers, when they're still white and soft.

Some beardies' digestive system just can't break down the chitin of supers, regardless how much basking they do afterwards or how hydrated they are. Perhaps you have one of those unfortunate babies.

Another option is to give him smaller sized supers instead of the full grown adults. The smaller size might be easier on his tummy.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, I only have around 50 supers left and once those are gone, they are gone for good. I'll try to only feed soft one or at least, only feed 3-4 a day along with dubia.

Has anyone else held their dragon while they go poo? Basti only goes in the water and I have to support his chest/belly with my palm so he will relax enough to go, this is when I noticed how hard he pushes. I wonder how hard other dragons are pushing? Anyone care to hold your pooing dragon and report back here?

acgordon

Hatchling Member
Roran always goes when he is sitting on my leg (towel under him of course), I will give him a 30 minute bath and nothing until he is out being dried. He stretches out and you can see him pushing but he doesn't look strained. Just a little stinker who enjoys pooing on me.

dragonfanatic4454

Hatchling Member
Goonie":376f2 said:
What you could try is to feed him newly shedded supers, when they're still white and soft.

Some beardies' digestive system just can't break down the chitin of supers, regardless how much basking they do afterwards or how hydrated they are. Perhaps you have one of those unfortunate babies.

Another option is to give him smaller sized supers instead of the full grown adults. The smaller size might be easier on his tummy.

I agree with the new supers. I used to feed my female supers since that was all she started eating, then I broke her addictiong be only offering greens for a whole week and now she will eat crickets and greens with the occasional few supers, but she was starting to have pooping problems which is why I got her off of them in the first place. I never tried the smaller ones but it wouldn't hurt since they are more nutricious usually than crickets.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Just a little update.

I've been feeding Basti roaches and greens with only a couple supers everyday. I just took him in for a bath and poo (he only goes in the tub). Normally when he he takes the "I'm gonna poo" stance, I have to put my hand under his belly to keep him from falling face first into the water since he strains so hard. Today he took the stance and before I could get my hand under him, one little push and he did his business. No more straining, no more dark beard in the bath and I can't believe how much he went.

Guess supers are mostly off his menu which is ok with me but I'm sure he won't be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom