Superworm Dying....what is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

mom2twinsplus2

Hatchling Member
Something weird is going on with my superworms....

I bought 500 at Repticon in the middle of September. I bought a large bag of the bedding that they sell there as well. I am keeping them in mid sized tuperware container...first day, I put a lid on top with holes punched out and I got massive condensation and smelly bedding....so I took all the worms out of that substrate and put them in fresh. All was going great...not a single death. I put in a few veggies or potatos occationally but mostly I forgot and I have ZERO deaths....until 4 days ago. Now I have deaths like crazy. 4 days ago, I noticed a weird smell in the bedding and a few dead so I changed all of hte worms over to new bedding...2 days ago, a few more dead....I added some lettuce and carrots to the bedding....and yesterday, I looked carefully through...no weird smell, carrots still fresh in there...but probably 15 or 20 dead super worms...almost all smaller superworms. So far, I am using the bedding that I bought from the superworm people...I just ran out and will need to make my own now (hence my other thread) but I would love to know why all of a sudden I went from no deaths to a whole bunch...I always had some deaths in the Petco containers but not from my big batch of Repticon worms. Is there anything I can do? I was kind of hoping these worms woudl last till my breeding project got going but that is not looking likely now is this keeps up. I still have probably 200 worms.

Alison

artie

mom2twinsplus2":3131a said:
Something weird is going on with my superworms....

I bought 500 at Repticon in the middle of September. I bought a large bag of the bedding that they sell there as well. I am keeping them in mid sized tuperware container...first day, I put a lid on top with holes punched out and I got massive condensation and smelly bedding....so I took all the worms out of that substrate and put them in fresh. All was going great...not a single death. I put in a few veggies or potatos occationally but mostly I forgot and I have ZERO deaths....until 4 days ago. Now I have deaths like crazy. 4 days ago, I noticed a weird smell in the bedding and a few dead so I changed all of hte worms over to new bedding...2 days ago, a few more dead....I added some lettuce and carrots to the bedding....and yesterday, I looked carefully through...no weird smell, carrots still fresh in there...but probably 15 or 20 dead super worms...almost all smaller superworms. So far, I am using the bedding that I bought from the superworm people...I just ran out and will need to make my own now (hence my other thread) but I would love to know why all of a sudden I went from no deaths to a whole bunch...I always had some deaths in the Petco containers but not from my big batch of Repticon worms. Is there anything I can do? I was kind of hoping these worms woudl last till my breeding project got going but that is not looking likely now is this keeps up. I still have probably 200 worms.

Alison

Are you keeping them in the fridge or in the house? Im assuming in the house. Did you turn up the heat for the winter and are you keeping them by the heater? Thats all I can think of. I just keep them in the fridge. Another thing, keep the dead ones and give the beardie about 30% dead ones with 70% alive ones. hand feed a couple to him then hand feed a couple deadies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom