Super worms & Kale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two bearded dragons that are nine months old and almost four years old. I recently bought the nine month old bearded dragon, and it just seems that she won't eat anything. She is no losing weight, but she only will eat crickets and the occasional pieces of banana. My assumption is that the breeder was using Dubia roaches (which, in Florida, are illegal but somehow common), and I don't have access to that. I also bought super worms and found that she likes those, but that's it. Any ideas on how to get her to like more?
My four year old beardie, Willow, absolutely hates kale and collard greens. I am not sure why, but I've never gotten him to like them. Any ideas on how to change that, too?
And final question—can superworms be a stable source of protein?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible that she's used to something else or is just picky. Try adding variety and see if that helps. Maybe some Phoenix Worms or some silk worms. You may be able to get discoid roaches in Florida too. As far as salads go, they all seem to like different things. Variety is good there too. This site comes in handy for ideas on things to try and offer. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Kingofthecage

Original Poster
Thank you, I'll check it out!

I live with my parents (I am a high school student), and they have already made it very clear that they don't want roaches. Crickets and worms are fine, but they are afraid of a few escaping and an infestation beginning...
Anyways, I'm starting to attempt to breed superworms. We tried crickets and failed, so I will need luck with this!

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Kingofthecage":2lv7f6yj said:
Thank you, I'll check it out!

I live with my parents (I am a high school student), and they have already made it very clear that they don't want roaches. Crickets and worms are fine, but they are afraid of a few escaping and an infestation beginning...
Anyways, I'm starting to attempt to breed superworms. We tried crickets and failed, so I will need luck with this!

I wouldn't rely only on super worms, they are higher in fat content so if they are a main diet item they can contribute to obesity and fatty liver.

I've had really good luck keeping the supers in a tank with a few inches of sandy soil and some old branches. They pupate fine and the beetles lay the eggs right in the substrate. It's a bit trickier to get them out I guess but you can sift through the soil for them.

If you don't have luck with the typical method to worth a try.

Kingofthecage

Original Poster
That's really good to know, so thank you. I won't use them as a stable, but I'll keep a low breeding population for treats or on occasion.
I completely quit feeding mealworms after finding that they caused impaction on my last young bearded dragon (Amazon), so I'll have to stick with crickets. In Florida, they are just so tricky to breed.

I'll definitely check out the sand substrate way. I don't mind searching a bit to find them. Thank you!

- Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom