super worms, instructions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLucas976

So I bought my beardie 25 superworms today, I wanted silkworms but I had the choice of super or meal. I brought them home and decided to see how he'd like them and I wish I had my camera for you guys to see it.

I set the container on the desk, got him out and he litterally sat on his butt, tail out flat, with his back legs spread, front feet over the lip of the container staring into it at the worms in wonder, it was hysterical.

so I fed him two. I know that their outershell is hard and had read that they have trouble digesting them? He had a hard enough time keeping them from crawling out of his mouth..

how should I be feeding these to him? I fed him a healthy salad after the two supers to help him get the digestion flowing, he is also fed crickets daily, I just thought the supers would be a nice treat for him.

I know nothing really about them other than the shell being harder so if someone could give me some basic instruction so I don't over feed and impact my beardie it would be excellent. :lol:

envyEye

I have to bump this thread, as I am also wondering about the superworms. Are they easier or harder to digest than mealworms? I still prefer crickets over everything, but which is the lesser of two evils? Thanks for all the help in advance.

edit: spelling

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
The super worms are a different species from the meal worm! Yes the super worms are easier to digest than the meal worm! I also use them as a treat but their are other members on here that use them as a staple! Good luck... :D Forgot to add that you should only feed the supers to beardies over 15 inches!!

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
More on this would be great! Do you need to cut the heads off? I was told to do that to be safe but if I don't have to I would rather not (for obvious reasons) I look for Hornworms and Pheonix worms but they never have them and they said that Silkworms were seasonal... all of which are more pricey than the Mealworms & Supers... So Superworms are the better of the two? And how many and how often do studies recommend?

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
No you do not have to cut the head off and yes the super is the better worm!! Also it all depends on your dragon and you on how many you feed! Good luck...

AmyUK

Hatchling Member
I was just about to ask similar questions about Superworms before I saw this thread!

I have also just got some supers for my beardie! OMG they are MASSIVE!! I know that the dragon has to be over 16" and I am pretty sure Brynn is (It's hard to tell has a has lost quite a lot of his tail from being nipped :() But they are just huge, much bigger than the space between his eyes! So is it ok to feed them to him seeing as the 16" rule has been met???

I just don't wanna make him impacted! Would it be a good idea to cut them :puke: in half and try and stimulate them moving? Or will he be able to swallow and digest etc beacause they are soft bodied??? (I know they r different to mealworms, but boy they look similar)

Thanks guys :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
If your bearies is over 15 inches then it's fine to give him the whole worm, he can handle it. There is no reason to cut them in half......plus they are pretty juicy inside i think in cutting them in half you would lose all the "good stuff" and just be feeding them a shell.

CLucas976

Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":88a85 said:
The super worms are a different species from the meal worm! Yes the super worms are easier to digest than the meal worm! I also use them as a treat but their are other members on here that use them as a staple! Good luck... :D Forgot to add that you should only feed the supers to beardies over 15 inches!!

thnx for the advice! I've become a little concerned with their size vs his so I figure I'll see how he does (he's a stumpy butt beardie, "breeder" didn't keep them separated i guess.) I've no idea how long he should be (with a tail) but he did make a massive poo last night afterwards (about 2 hrs or so after eating 2) and then ate a giant bowl of salad, so I think he'll be fine with them but, I'm not pushing it. I tend to over worry about my 4 legged babies more than most so I could also be acting paranoid. Definately couldn't do em as a staple, *shudder* they make my skin crawl!

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
AmyUK":92f48 said:
I was just about to ask similar questions about Superworms before I saw this thread!

I have also just got some supers for my beardie! OMG they are MASSIVE!! I know that the dragon has to be over 16" and I am pretty sure Brynn is (It's hard to tell has a has lost quite a lot of his tail from being nipped :() But they are just huge, much bigger than the space between his eyes! So is it ok to feed them to him seeing as the 16" rule has been met???

I just don't wanna make him impacted! Would it be a good idea to cut them :puke: in half and try and stimulate them moving? Or will he be able to swallow and digest etc beacause they are soft bodied??? (I know they r different to mealworms, but boy they look similar)

Thanks guys :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

Yes you will be fine! Beardies have teeth and they no how to use em!! :wink: Whatever they don't chew then the acids in the tummy will take care of that!! Good luck.. Also the rule of between the eyes refers to the thickness of the bug! Length is fine! Try one or 2 and see how your beardie digest them! If he does good then keep it up!! :wink: Good luck...

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
CLucas976":e2baf said:
Twobeardieguy":e2baf said:

thnx for the advice! I've become a little concerned with their size vs his so I figure I'll see how he does (he's a stumpy butt beardie, "breeder" didn't keep them separated i guess.) I've no idea how long he should be (with a tail) but he did make a massive poo last night afterwards (about 2 hrs or so after eating 2) and then ate a giant bowl of salad, so I think he'll be fine with them but, I'm not pushing it. I tend to over worry about my 4 legged babies more than most so I could also be acting paranoid. Definately couldn't do em as a staple, *shudder* they make my skin crawl!

They make us worry all the time!! And what makes your skin crawl, makes a beardies eyes and tummy gleam in excitement!! Its like a lobster dinner for them!! Good luck....

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
I have feed supers as a staple and I do decapitate them because my husband thinks they are gross. LOL They do act aggressive so I don't like to touch them without gloves cause they are ewwy. It is easier to feed with the tweezers or in a salad if you mash the head because then they don't curl up or run off the dish. Just my personal choice, but it is certainly not necessary. FYI the head does not die right away and if you cut any of the legs off with the head it crawls away which is pretty gross. :puke:
Suppers are really easy to keep as a staple and cheap to order from any of the online bulk places like mulberry farms. Currently we are adding dubias since buying some at the reptile show several weeks ago and just got our first shipment from the Roach guy. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom