Super Worms and Size/Age

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRoss

Hey,

I've been trying to work out a proper diet for Angus, and reading through this part of the forum I have seen a few users mention that Super Worms may not be the best choice for a smaller lizard. I am wondering why this is. Do they have a lot less protein than crickets or another type of worm? Or are they too fattening?

Angus seems to like Super Worms a lot, he goes crazy for them. Today though I noticed some dead ones in his tank when I know he ate them all.. I'm assuming he must have thrown them up or else somehow pooped them whole (doubtful on that one..). He's pretty young so I would love to know if he just can't handle them or what is going on.. Thanks!

Trogdor80

Hatchling Member
Supers have a lot of shell, that can cause an impaction if you are feeding main staple of their diet quantities to a smaller dragon.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
Young/small dragons have a kink in their digestive system that makes them more prone to impactions - that's why hard shelled bugs like superworms and meal worms aren't recommended for them. Once your dragon is 16 inches and larger, that kink has straightened out and most dragons can easily handle supers as a staple. Some have started with dragons as small as 14 inches successfully, but 16 inches is the most common safety recommendation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom