Super Picky Adult Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guy is 6 years old and will NOT eat and greens/veggies/fruit or insects any more. We adopted him last year and learned he was under weight and only feed super worms. I tried everything to get him Off that and as only treats. We were recommended ReptaBoost which he loves but you have to put it on his month. Also, we add organic baby food to it so he is getting the veggies and etc. He loves it that and the grub pie as long as it is in a syringe. He will walk past his food if you put it down. I wanna get him on salads and etc.
He is very spoiled, he has 2 tanks and loves to free range he has a whole set up in the living room. I'm just worried he isnt getting his proper nutrients.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How often are you feeding him the superworms right now? Or did you stop?

A lot of times dragons will get a taste for something and learn that if they hold out they can get what they want.

Ideally I like to feed adults insects two to three times a week, and a daily salad.

As long as he is healthy, there is no harm in stopping the superworms completely. They are smart creatures, they will eat once they get hungry enough. That's what I usually recommend as long as husbandry is proper and the dragon is generally healthy.
He wont let himself starve unless there is an underlying condition at hand.

My advice would be to just offer him a salad daily until he starts eating it

-Brandon

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
Very much agree with Brandon here. You can definitely start by "sweetening the pot" as far as salad is concerned, though. Beardies seem to nearly universally love blueberries, and my boy loves cilantro which is harder for him to pick out from other greens if making a mixed salad. But yeah, provided he's healthy otherwise, waiting him out is a completely valid way to deal with this problem.

Best,
-Ellen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Try some bee pollen on his salad-- I got some from Walmart - they are granules -
Karrie

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
claudiusx":2e1qfszv said:
How often are you feeding him the superworms right now? Or did you stop?

A lot of times dragons will get a taste for something and learn that if they hold out they can get what they want.

Ideally I like to feed adults insects two to three times a week, and a daily salad.

As long as he is healthy, there is no harm in stopping the superworms completely. They are smart creatures, they will eat once they get hungry enough. That's what I usually recommend as long as husbandry is proper and the dragon is generally healthy.
He wont let himself starve unless there is an underlying condition at hand.

My advice would be to just offer him a salad daily until he starts eating it

-Brandon

He actually weaned himself off of them to ONLY the Reptaboost mixed with the organic baby food. And you have to put it on his mouth.

He won't take any bugs anymore I've tried them all. He is good about holding out until he gets what he wants. We just went 2 and half days trying to get him to eat a salad.

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
Ellentomologist":3e97rekg said:
Very much agree with Brandon here. You can definitely start by "sweetening the pot" as far as salad is concerned, though. Beardies seem to nearly universally love blueberries, and my boy loves cilantro which is harder for him to pick out from other greens if making a mixed salad. But yeah, provided he's healthy otherwise, waiting him out is a completely valid way to deal with this problem.

Best,
-Ellen

This is Jarvis's extent of eating a salad?
101068-8332468494.jpg

kwonsmommy

Original Poster
claudiusx":2fwykfti said:
Hi there,

Any update on your guy? How's he doing? :)

-Brandon

Still no luck with salads, veggies or fruit that isnt babyfood and in his reptaboost. I guess I've come to terms with his eating habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom