Summer Semi Brummation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabySeven

I've been lurking reading the boards and not finding what I need so I'm putting this out in the Universe.

My daughter has a juvie baby dragon, about 4 months old, we think. He's 11 inches long and just graduated in his "big boy" viv. He's been in the new viv a few weeks and hasn't shown stress markings so I do not believe the issue is related to habitat change. The viv is 90+ on the hot side, it varies, and 80's varying on the cool side. Humidity is in the dessert range, about 40% and has been since we got him.

The last four days he's been having breakfast of approximately a bazillion dubia roaches and some cilantro and romaine with a little papaya then around noon he goes in his hide because it's part of his basking rock. He stays in the hide unless forcibly removed for the whole day, sometimes two days. He's also started digging in his hide, so scratching up his paper towels since that's the substrate.

Still pooing on cycle, still eating well when he eats. I'm concerned because it's JUNE/JULY! If it were September or if he were older I wouldn't even blink at this behavior.

He does not seem sick, he's alert (when awake) happy to cuddle and socialize. He's just darling!

Any feedback appreciated!

LewisBD

Hatchling Member
BabySeven":3gkgx1tm said:
I've been lurking reading the boards and not finding what I need so I'm putting this out in the Universe.

My daughter has a juvie baby dragon, about 4 months old, we think. He's 11 inches long and just graduated in his "big boy" viv. He's been in the new viv a few weeks and hasn't shown stress markings so I do not believe the issue is related to habitat change. The viv is 90+ on the hot side, it varies, and 80's varying on the cool side. Humidity is in the dessert range, about 40% and has been since we got him.

The last four days he's been having breakfast of approximately a bazillion dubia roaches and some cilantro and romaine with a little papaya then around noon he goes in his hide because it's part of his basking rock. He stays in the hide unless forcibly removed for the whole day, sometimes two days. He's also started digging in his hide, so scratching up his paper towels since that's the substrate.

Still pooing on cycle, still eating well when he eats. I'm concerned because it's JUNE/JULY! If it were September or if he were older I wouldn't even blink at this behavior.

He does not seem sick, he's alert (when awake) happy to cuddle and socialize. He's just darling!

Any feedback appreciated!

It's not brumation, he's too young for it. Are you sure he isn't a she lol, girls tend to dig when they lay a clutch, although it's also too young for that as well. As long as he's active, eating and going to the bathroom well, everything should be fine.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Your temps are too low. If it's 90°F in the basking spot your 15°F too low. How are you measuring them? Analog, digital or temp gun? How long are your lights on per day?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Not trying to brumate. 4 months old so I think this just starting to like to sleep in and take siestas , and nothing to worry about if he/she's still eating well, pooing, active much of the time, chances are it's a growth spurt or coming to another shed.

Males also like to scratch about as well as females , and they need not be gravid or forming eggs/slugs.

BabySeven

Original Poster
Awesome folks! Thank you. He's just being a sleepy growing boy. He was up fresh and early this morning on his basking rock, and an hour later standing in his salad bowl demanding roaches and cuddles.

Thank you for humoring my concerns.

Regards!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Your basking spot (in your hot side but a different temperature) should be between 105-110 for a 3-4 month old, in the 90's is far to cold. The hot side around the basking spot should be in the low 90's, but it's important to get the basking spot where he sits the most under both lights to 105-110.

BabySeven

Original Poster
In an attempt to mimic my daughter: Why?

Seven has been quite happy at the higher than 90 temps and moves when he gets too hot. What is the impact on Dragon Behavior of having a spot that is over 100 versus under. Why is it important to be over 100 at 4 months?

I'm maxed out on the ceramic heat bulbs. He has two, one is 100watts the other is 150watts. The UV15 bulb isn't 6 months old yet. If he hand manage at 95 I'll have to move to mercury vapor.

How long to I let the sleep-a-thon last before I need to take action beyond viv management?

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom