Suggestion for mod's and admins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to make a suggestion for the admins/mods about maybe implementing a chat function within the website. I don't know if any of the team have the knowledge or knowhow but I think it would be a brilliant implementation. I am still a n00b myself, but am more than happy to help people with the information I know instantly. I just understand how stressful it is sometimes for owners to sit and wait for a response when being very concerned with what is wrong with there beardies.

If this is not a possibility I am requesting a sticky with people willing to help when online and skype username. This will simply give the opportunity for someone to get help instantly if needed. Only a suggestion, would love to hear back from you guys.

Payne

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
[Moved from Off Topic to Website Comments

We did have a chat site open for some time, but a few decided to ruin it for everyone else by not following the site policies on how to conduct themselves, so it was shut down.

drpayne1990

Original Poster
Hey Goonie,
That is extremely unfortunate, but thank you for letting me know that was the case. Maybe another useful method could be implemented? I have not really thought about it to much but it would be helpful for people. Maybe volunteers having designated Skype usernames for there chosen speciality as a sticky? I don't know really, would have to be something thought about excessively for it to work well.

drpayne1990

Original Poster
What do you think about this? A post dedicated for volunteers willing to help. They only apply after completing some sort of quiz (how much to feed, correct temps, what is MBD, what causes it, and so on), showing enough knowledge to be able to help someone in a specific area. Just some sort of filter to make sure false information is not given out. Many people using the forums simply do not know how to use the search function for some reason, or google for that matter. But for the people that do, there are many conflicting opinions. On this website it is fairly standardised with what is right and wrong, with differing opinions. I just see to many people taking bad advice from stupid pet stores, and want to help as many bearded dragons not die as possible. Just throwing out some ideas for feed back and put below a broad layout for something that could work.

Sticky subject:
On-line Instant Chat.

Body:
something along the lines of a table with skype username or even just accepting privet chat on from your profile, times/days generally online, what they can help with. Ideally this would be another section of the website that has all the qualified volunteers, and the ability to arrange them to offline/online. The only real issue I can see is the amount of traffic people would be getting, I cant think of a way around that right now. Maybe if enough people were involved then a que system or something. I don't know. Would love some feedback

stormwolfe

I am not a mod nor admin, however, I do run my own site and am aware of the headaches moderating a live chat can be.

Since I also see the merit in the members being able to chat and get quick and good information...

What about using a site like Chatzy ? Simply provide a redirect link and make it member moderated. It does have the ability to require registration and I'm nearly 100% certain it allows booting and silencing members. Chatzy is free or can be a paid membership. Members here can set up their own rooms or you could choose the paid feature which has other options. Thing is, unless the members have the unique URL, people cannot gate crash the chats.

Just my two cents worth, didn't mean to hijack DrPayne's thread.

Best Regards,

Stormwolfe

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
Having problems was one main reason, but I think the ultimate reason we don't have it anymore now is that no one was using it. Chat functions don't work well on a site unless it's integrated throughout the site (like FB does). That's not something I anticipate doing anytime soon, though. It would also require more controls for people to control who can request chats, blocking, disabling it, etc.

drpayne1990

Original Poster
Hey Stormwolfe and Beardie,

First of all, don't feel back Stomwolfe it was open for disscussion. I like that website and think I will use it next time I want to help someone out on here thanks for that.

Beardie, I completely with the amount of effort involved with something like that for possibly a poor out come. But just wondering, what did you think of stormwolfe's idea. I am defiantly going to use that website when there is something I can help with on here, but the only other thing would be for volunteers on a sticky. If you find this not worth the effort, then I will leave it at that. Maybe even a poll to ask the public if they would like some sort of chat system. Even an IRC would be good, but once again that involves some knowledge to set up. I would love to even be able to talk to you guys in a more direct way as well as offer support in a specific channel.

Payne

drpayne1990

Original Poster
From my understanding you did have an IRC, because I just came across the old page. I will just leave it at that. If I want to help someone ill just offer using a website like Chatzy.

Edit: Is anyone able to join this server without downloading the Mibbit add on for chrome.
http://client01.chat.mibbit.com/#[email protected]

It seemed to load up in IE fine, just wondering if anyone can do it or if it was just me.

Payne

stormwolfe

DrPayne,

I was able to get into the chat via your posted link using Firefox on a Mac.

As I run a gaming site, I totally understand the owners and mods not wanting to take on watching after a chat. If they do not object, however, perhaps a few members could get together to admin a site like the IRC chat or a Chatzy Room.

The only advantage in Chatzy vs. IRC that I see is that you can go into the room and then send invites to people that are needed via e-mail.

Best Regards,

Stormwolfe

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
I have no problems with members wanting to organize it. I won't officially "support" it, because then people will still come to us if there are problems.

We did have chat. Actually, 3 different pieces of software. First was a home grown chat that I wrote. It worked for its purposes but was buggy and I didn't have time to maintain the code. I then had some 3rd party chat that plugged into a page here. But people only used it briefly and then no one was using it. Then after more requests for chat again, I tried an IRC server. I ran a local IRC server and installed a web-based chat (not an open IRC server) that used it. It set users to use their forum username, and bots logged the chats both to monitor and to see what the usage was. Again, as before, it was used for a short while, and then no more. I had left it in place for years, until the software was getting too out of date (security holes existed) and I didn't want to keep maintaining something that no one was using.

I think the issue is that the nature of forums is that people are on here for an average of 5-10 minutes. They read, they post, the leave, and then come back again hours later. No one was just "hanging out" in the chat room like is common for chat rooms that are just for that and the reason people go there. It's takes having continued regular chatters logged on to keep it "alive".

But again... I'm fine if people want to try another option for the chat. I've just had too many attempts with too much work into it for something that never got used.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
drpayne1990":21tfbphb said:
From my understanding you did have an IRC, because I just came across the old page. I will just leave it at that.
Yes, we did. I guess I never disabled the page itself (probably should have). But the IRC server hasn't been installed for quite some time (years).

stormwolfe

I agree and understand both not supporting a member chat room and not setting up another one! Believe me. I maintain one integrated into my site's member's only page, but only because my writers leave notes to one another there.

I think the simplest route would be to put up a topic that makes it clear the chat room is members' run NOT supported by beardeddragon.org. We can either put the Chatzy URL in the pots and beg your kindness in making it a sticky - or - we can just reply to the post when the chat room is active to alert others to drop in.

Either way, I'm good. There's been a time or two I'd have liked to be able to get a fast answer, but ya know, if the crisis is that big, it might be best to try calling a vet.

Regards ~ Stormwolfe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom