Sudden shift in insect to veg ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jettum

When I had my rankins Dragons they were never big fans of veggies as juveniles. And up until last week my new baby hasn't been either. She's 4 months now, and about 4 days ago I cooked some squash. She goes nutso for it! I've always started her morning w/ a "salad plate" of greens n assorted veggies, but she'd only have a couple bites. Now that I added the squash, she eats the whole thing.
My concern is the sudden change in insect/veg ratio. She only eats about half as many crickets now that she eats all her veggies. It's probably still a 60/40 but last week it was closer to 90/10.
Should I offer less veggies so she maintains a higher protein percent? Or should I let her eat and be happy she has taken to them?
Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
(Ps. She is also going through a growth spurt. Her bowel movements are still solid and healthy looking. She still does eat plenty of insects. I'm just concerned about proper ratio for her age. Like, if 80/20 is the standard until they're 1, or if it should gradually change from 80/20 to 20/80 over the course of the year.)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would run with it. The veggies are nutritious. As long as she's still eating as many bugs as she'd like, that should be fine. You'll probably see fluctuations in what she wants and how much she wants over time which is normal. Just keep offering the bugs and providing the salad and let her dictate what she needs.

Jettum

Original Poster
Thanks Coop! That's what I figured, but I've never had a lil veggie muncher b4. Lol. ;)

Taterbug- I know spinach, peas n broccoli are high, but they are also on the rarely/never list. What else is high-protein? Are u talkin beans n potatoes?

npgeorgeuw

Hatchling Member
It's funny, our tiny baby wouldn't touch crickets but filled herself on squash. Worried us as it wasn't right for her age. Anyhow she would eat a cricket here or there and we decided to switch things up and tried some roaches now squash is scoffed at with disdain. It's like you offended her... :cool:

Jettum

Original Poster
npgeorgeuw":1tvngbpu said:
It's funny, our tiny baby wouldn't touch crickets but filled herself on squash. Worried us as it wasn't right for her age. Anyhow she would eat a cricket here or there and we decided to switch things up and tried some roaches now squash is scoffed at with disdain. It's like you offended her... :cool:
Mine loves dubias too! Its like she's dissappointed when I switch back to crickets. Unfortunately, both stores that sell them here are out of them at the moment. I've been debating starting a colony but I cant commit.

npgeorgeuw

Hatchling Member
Ours won't touch crickets. Spits them out when she grabs them once she remembers what they are, I have even ripped their legs off to try and fool her, no go... I'm pretty certain she'd lose weight right now if we tried to force her to eat them. There's a reason we call her Sass I guess... :banghead:

Jettum

Original Poster
Hahahaha! I think all of us on here have created spoiled rotten little dragons! Mine is so crazy sometimes I've been thinking about changing her name to Mim.. Cause she's "the magnificent, marvelous, mad mad mad Madam Mim!!"

npgeorgeuw

Hatchling Member
speaking of the devil, my wife just informed me (I'm still at work) that our oldest scoffed at crickets this morning and ran around the cage in an uproar.--Keep in mind she generally gets offended when the wife tries to feed her crickets (still haven't figured that one out) Anyways, when my wife came back in a few minutes later she was happily munching away on greens and cactus slices.--They definitely keep you on your feet.

irieone42

Jettum":22ek3ig1 said:
npgeorgeuw":22ek3ig1 said:
Mine loves dubias too! Its like she's dissappointed when I switch back to crickets. Unfortunately, both stores that sell them here are out of them at the moment. I've been debating starting a colony but I cant commit.
DO IT!! best thing i have ever did for my pets. it is soooo super easy the roachs do all the work. my dragon wont even think about eating crickets anymore

Jettum

Original Poster
irieone42":2h2vxocb said:
Jettum":2h2vxocb said:
I've been debating starting a colony but I cant commit.
DO IT!! best thing i have ever did for my pets. it is soooo super easy the roachs do all the work. my dragon wont even think about eating crickets anymore
But... But... Ewww. Lol. I have this rack I can slide a small tank into so it's out of the way but I can only fit a 5 gallon tank max in there. I also read u can do it in plastic bins? The temp in my room never falls below 73, so would they still breed w/out a UTH, and is a 2.5-5 gal tank big enough to still get enough babies to feed my dragon daily?
I've read all the basics (ie: substrate, food, optimal temps, m/f ratio) but how do u maintain constant population, and how do u keep it from smelling? (Ik yall say they don't smell but they do! Not as bad as crickets but I can def smell them when I open my containers.)

irieone42

Jettum":oob119jl said:
irieone42":oob119jl said:
Jettum":oob119jl said:
I've been debating starting a colony but I cant commit.
But... But... Ewww. Lol. I have this rack I can slide a small tank into so it's out of the way but I can only fit a 5 gallon tank max in there. I also read u can do it in plastic bins? The temp in my room never falls below 73, so would they still breed w/out a UTH, and is a 2.5-5 gal tank big enough to still get enough babies to feed my dragon daily?
I've read all the basics (ie: substrate, food, optimal temps, m/f ratio) but how do u maintain constant population, and how do u keep it from smelling? (Ik yall say they don't smell but they do! Not as bad as crickets but I can def smell them when I open my containers.)
you will need a UTH for sure and i just use a big tub from wal-mart. the heat help them to mate a lot more and they pop out babys fast! NO SMELL! i only clean my tub out every 2 weeks. youtube will show you everything you need to know. i started with 20 females 10 males and like 200 feeder. in just over a month my group is well over 750 and climbing. i did only feed a few roaches at 1st to let my group grow but now it going crazy. i might even start selling them cuz it blowing up so fast. but if you do get the roaches look it all up on youtube.. and for the EWWW, get over it lol your dragon will love you for it and your wallet will to.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161537823479?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT this is a great starter kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom