Sudden lethargy, sunken eyes-pic attached. RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofcourseilikepasta

Hatchling Member
I am so sorry for your loss, I cannot even imagine how you're feeling right now. You really did everything you could with the information you had... :cry: I hope your heart eventually heals from the loss of your little buddy... RIP

beardedlarry

Original Poster
ofcourseilikepasta":vqq0qeki said:
I am so sorry for your loss, I cannot even imagine how you're feeling right now. You really did everything you could with the information you had... :cry: I hope your heart eventually heals from the loss of your little buddy... RIP

Thank you..

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry too...I followed this thread and wondered what was going on with him,looked healthy but his behavior was odd. You certainly took great care of him and took every measure to figure out + try to treat whatever was wrong with him. I know you're devastated and my heart really goes out to. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear that he passed so suddenly. :cry: It is a horrible & sickening feeling losing them. He was looking good, something must have been genetic perhaps. I am sorry for your loss of your friend.

Tracie

anastasia6988

Hatchling Member
Sorry for your loss. :-( It sounds like you did everything you could for him. RIP
Let us know what they say on the post-mortem.

beardedlarry

Original Poster
Thank you all for the kind words. The vet will call me tonight after he does the exam, then I will bring him home to bury. I can't believe how much a part of each day he was. From feeding, to checking temperatures, to shoulder time, to just looking over at him from my desk every few minutes...
How he knew when I looked over and looked right at my eyes.

I will post after I hear the results.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I just saw this thread. I'm sorry you lost him. I know how you hurt as we have lost a total of 5 beardies since August of 2006, not all at one time, though. It hurts every time you loose one as they are just like children (at least to me and my husband).

PogoLover

Juvie Member
I just read this thread too, and I am sorry as well. It must be really hard. Let us know what you find out from the vet. He looked so good to me in your pics! I am a new beardie owner too (have had Pogo for 3 1/2 months). I went through almost losing her, but she made it and I am very grateful for that.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I am so sorry to hear about his passing. You tried everything you possibly could. I know your heart is broken, that hurts so badly. You loved him very much and I know he loved you right back.

RIP little buddy

beardedlarry

Original Poster
The vet called me. I really like him a lot, but I'm afraid we didn't treat Larry correctly. He found a perforation where the small intestine joins the large, and it was possibly aggravated by recent enema and/or over handling. He also found egg yolk peritonitis, which was not suspected, as a possible secondary condition. i'm too depressed to write more, and feel like we over treated him/her and misdiagnosed the problem. Now I feel extreme guilt on top of my grief.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh geez, so Larry was a female with egg binding complications? I can completely understand how grief stricken you are right now. :cry: It is not your fault & Larry doesn't blame you so try not to be too hard on yourself right now.
I do understand the guilt, I have been there & it will consume you. Let us know how you are doing.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those aren't trivial illnesses. I completely understand the guilt and second guessing. I've been there as well. You provided the best care you could given the information you had. Know that you did your best and provided love. Keep that with you. As Tracie said, the guilt will consume you and isn't worth it. Know you did your best, learn as much as you can, and do the best you can to help others.

beardedlarry

Original Poster
As much as I researched how best to take care of my little friend, ultimately I failed. i did not put him (her)in the right hands, even though my vets both keep beardies and large lizards themselves. I believe Misdiagnosis, aggressive pressure on the abdomin to break up stool, and over treatment caused me to lose Larry. I am completely grief stricken and run over with guilt. I wanted to save her and couldn't. I asked if it was the reproductive tract at one point but it was dismissed as unlikely. Perhaps the peroration was the underlying issue, but it seems less likely than the other way around to me. I'm sorry Larry. I'm really sorry.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, this was 100% not your fault and I know you may not want to deal with this right now but I would consider this to be 100% the vets fault. If he is taking hard earned money for treatment when he didn't even know the gender of the full grown animal he was treating [ whether he owns a dragon or not] then he is in no way qualified to handle reptiles. This is a travesty and you should get every penny back that he took from you. He himself should be the one to come to YOU with that offer.....how sad that this has happened.

beardedlarry

Original Poster
This was a favorite spot to take some sun. We buried him there this morning.

jIW7eye.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom