Success with a Spoiled Beardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmongt

I took over caring for this Dragon about 5 months ago from a family member. He is about 14 months old I believe and I think he has reached his full size just within the past month or so.

I recently noticed that my dragon was starting to get a little picky about his food. When I first got him he would eat his food off his rock or by hand or run around the cage chasing bugs. Lately, if I am not hand feeding him forget it and some days he would just wait for crickets to run under his face.

I read some horror stories on here about diva dragons and decided it was time to stop spoiling my beardo before he got worse. Man is he stubborn. He went 5 days without eating a bite. I gave him fresh greens twice a day everyday but he wouldn't eat it out of a bowl. I was starting to worry he might just start brumation in protest but today he caved!

Granted it was just one bite of salad but a victory none the less. With a little determination I hope to have him back to his regular diet in a week or so. If you are having similar problems stick with it and don't give in. Reptiles are cold blooded and can hold out much longer for food than mammals. But when they get hungry they will eat whatever you give them.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
It could possibly be brumation is setting in and affecting his metabolism this time of year.

Just a thought

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom