substrate thoughts for new owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

mchip412

Being a new beardie owner, there’s a ton of information on what to use for substrate. Whether to use loose substrate or not. I currently have my tank set up with half excavator sand and half millet seed. I see people saying stay away from and loose substrate, and I see other saying how they have never had problems before. What’s everyone’s thoughts? Thank you!!

This is Spyra, 5/6 months old
full

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Personally I am using ceramic slated tile--- others use non adhesive shelf liner -- both are cheap easy to clean -- vinegar/ water in spray bottle--- I also use paper towels under my tile as it tends to catch the loose watery / urate --- the tile is to my opinion for a permanent enclosure as it needs to be cut to tank size -- same w/ shelf liner but easier to do than the tile-- I had sand at first hated it -- then went to a sand mat expensive to buy all the time -- finally to tile and love it -- I have put a fleece blanket in Hiccups cave/ platform hide for him to sleep w/ some paper towels for his digging-- the tile keeps the nails not so sharp--
Karrie

mchip412

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie! I've been seeing a lot of people talking about using the ceramic tiles. Can you add a pic I would love to check it out! Thanks...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't use loose substrates with dragons anymore. However I did (and would again) use bird seed with my uro. But the bird seed was meant to be ingested. It provided valuable protein and roughage for her. Dragons dont need that so I don't personally see the purpose of millet seed in a dragon tank. And then sand has the issues of dust.
For me it's just a better system all around to just use solid substrate.

I too use tile.

-Brandon

mchip412

Original Poster
Thanks Brandon! What ill do is just keep an eye out on if she's eating it or not. I'm not feeding her in her tank anymore now that I put the millet seed down so that should eliminate her eating it a little more. If I feel she is then I'll take it out completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom