substrate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dculver85

I have been looking at some of the pictures around the site of other folks VIV's. I have noticed that a lot of people are using some sort of tile? Instead of sand. Now I thought the sand would be a great idea for a BD being thats something that was/is part of their natural habitat. Our BD is 2 weeks old today. I have read that sand is really bad for babies being they like to taste things and have bad aim when it comes to eating but we have been very careful during feeding and he seems to be fine.

Anyway, my question is, why tile and should it be used over anything else. Also, what about that reptile carpet? Has anyone used it and is it worth it? Thanks!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Hello

in the wild beardies don't live on sand, they live on a hard clay type substance. Sand isn't good for any ages beardies. Definately get rid of the sand- not only can sand harbour bacteria, the sand can also collect in their tummy and can solidify causing impaction and sometimes fatality- even if he seems to be ok during feeding, beardies lick to smell and may be licking the sand. Tile is great as its easy to clean, looks good and keeps the nails trim- when beardies nails get long they can leave awful cuts on skin :shock: A lot of people like repti-carpet but i haven't used it myself. :D

FBradshaw

Juvie Member
catUK":h8ov708q said:
Hello

in the wild beardies don't live on sand, they live on a hard clay type substance.

Incorrect! In the wild bearded dragons live on many types of substances including loose sand. They are from the Australian outback which is made of several types of landscape from the hard packed, sun baked clay, to loose sand "desert" like areas, even beaches. Some dragons, pardon the expression, are just too dumb for their own good and will continue to eat the sand until it causes them health issues, in the wild these would be chalked up to survival of the fittest. To avoid this from having the possibility of happening people have taken to using tile or other substrates that are not loose and don't pose this danger, mostly because the vet bills for clearing an impaction are outrageous and the little one still might not survive. With that being said, burrowing and digging is a natural part of a bearded dragons behavior and can only be accomplished with a loose or particulate substrate such as sand. It is not required for them to live and many have gone their entire lives without ever touching sand. Using tile or another non-particulate substrate is safer in the sense that you avoid the impaction risk that does come with using sand.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
FBradshaw":1tvpddzm said:
catUK":1tvpddzm said:
Hello

in the wild beardies don't live on sand, they live on a hard clay type substance.

Incorrect! In the wild bearded dragons live on many types of substances including loose sand. They are from the Australian outback which is made of several types of landscape from the hard packed, sun baked clay, to loose sand "desert" like areas, even beaches. Some dragons, pardon the expression, are just too dumb for their own good and will continue to eat the sand until it causes them health issues, in the wild these would be chalked up to survival of the fittest. To avoid this from having the possibility of happening people have taken to using tile or other substrates that are not loose and don't pose this danger, mostly because the vet bills for clearing an impaction are outrageous and the little one still might not survive. With that being said, burrowing and digging is a natural part of a bearded dragons behavior and can only be accomplished with a loose or particulate substrate such as sand. It is not required for them to live and many have gone their entire lives without ever touching sand. Using tile or another non-particulate substrate is safer in the sense that you avoid the impaction risk that does come with using sand.

well thats just what i read- i don't make a habit of researching all the different substrate they live on, no need for the "incorrect!" :roll: We're all trying to help here and you can inform people they are incorrect in a more polite way

coastergirl946

Hatchling Member
My boyfriend and I lost a beardie to sand impaction. I have seen for myself what happens to them and how it weakens their system, and it's not something I'd wish on any pet owner. He suffered 5 impactions.. he continued to become impacted long after we removed the sand and fixed his temperatures, because the sand stayed in his system and it hurt him badly to poop. It was very painful and difficult for him to have bowel movements.. he would collapse in his bath with his eyes shut, a black beard, and stress marks. :( Of course I'd grab him out of the bath and hold him, but it tore me apart to see him like that. He finally passed away when he was no longer able to digest his food, and choked to death on his own vomit on the way to the vet. He wasn't a baby either.. he was 3 1/2 years old and 15 inches long when he died, so that myth about larger dragons not having a risk of being impacted is complete BS. I pray that my experience helps to save other dragons.. It haunts me that he died in such a terrible way. I absolutely flat out refuse to use any loose substrate ever again after losing Curt. I do not want to see anyone go through what we went through.

I've used sand in the past, but now I use paper as the substrate for mine. Easier to clean when the numbers start to increase and time is limited.

stang8689

I use repti carpet, I have 2 so once a week a switch them out and wash. When I build my viv I will be using tile because it is alot easier to clean his pop lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom