Substrate question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I've been here once...my Bearded Dragon had an impaction and with the help of the members on this site he got all better. ^_^
But now as I've read crushed walnut is bad and may cause an impaction...so it's time for a change.

What kind of substrate should I use? I read about play sand but I've seen so many recommendations against sand, and I want it to be a substrate similar to sand, not newspaper or fake grass. So what would everyone recommend? If possible mention multiple things in case I can't find a specific one. Thank you!

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
I would use slate tile, or non adhesive shelf liner. Play sand that is sifted/cleaned etc, is generally reccomended for adult beardies

BeardedGunny

Original Poster
Yeah but isn't that just like a flat floor like substrate? I want something similar to what I have now...but not bad for Gunny. ^_^

BeardedGunny

Original Poster
This is probably going to sound bad but I have no idea. Gunny is my 3rd lizard and I bought my first in may, died 1 month later from impaction, waited a bit then bought another, died in 2 measly days because it was sick from petsmart, waited even longer and bought Gunny, thinking he was gonna die(I was pretty glum at the time) I really hadn't kept track of it at all. I know he's under a year but getting close... I'll probably to the flat surface thing till later then...Thank you for your help! ^_^

P.S. Searching for the receipt so I can find out Gunny's birthday...Gunny is staying alive! =D

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
Yea, my first one died at about 3 years old of septicimia. I still dont know how he got it.. :(
But this site has helped me out A LOT. And the second one i got was given to me by a friend. but his MBD was wayyyyyyyyy to far advanced to help him. Poor guy.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I honestly don't think that using rolled oats is a good idea, especially for a baby. When you cook oats, they swell up which means that could happen in your beardies belly. A solid substrate is MUCH safer.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Well, bake Cookies of course ! If you need a recipe....
We'll send you a list of the members here, so you can ship us all some ;)
Just kidding !
Know any horses around you ? Perhaps donating to a horse rescue......
Just some ideas !
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom