Substrate preferences

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Hey guys I have some questions about your ideas when it comes to substrate. I have kept Clyde on both ground walnut and paper towels. At some point I will be upgrading him to a 4ft x2 ft x2 ft and I want some ideas about substrate. I want something that is safe but also natural looking. I know they like to dig and since I don’t let insects free roam I feel particle substrate would be ok but I want him to be safe. I was also considering ceramic tile. Please give me your thoughts.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Definitely tile IMO. If you want something for him to burrow in give him some fleece scraps so he can burrow in. Much softer and safer for him.

Particle substrates are very risky and potentially dangerous. This has a list of some dangers of particle substrates: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=243890&hilit=sand#p1857889

*Edit* Please do not Ever use crushed walnut shell Ever again. It is like smelly broken glass and is only good for cleaning up oil spills. One of my dragons was originally on it, and dang it was smelly, sharp, and it got into everything. I immediately switched it out first thing before I even got the tank upstairs.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
While you may not like ground walnut it has worked just fine for me for over a year. Clyde has never been cut and has never been impacted. He has no diseases and the person I got him from has been keeping me breeding his beardies on walnut for years with no ill effect.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
QuinnF":2d5tq8uq said:
While you may not like ground walnut it has worked just fine for me for over a year. Clyde has never been cut and has never been impacted. He has no diseases and the person I got him from has been keeping me breeding his beardies on walnut for years with no ill effect.
I would not buy a dragon from a breeder that does this.
The Dust (can cause RI's), Retains moisture which Harbors bacteria and, fungus (causing many different diseases), sharp edges on the ground walnut (can cause internal bleeding and, death) and, the forever present impaction hazard. These are just a few reasons to not use any type of loose substrate.
If you love your dragon, you won't use it!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":1qeknv0r said:
QuinnF":1qeknv0r said:
I would not buy a dragon from a breeder that does this.
The Dust (can cause RI's), Retains moisture which Harbors bacteria and, fungus (causing many different diseases), sharp edges on the ground walnut (can cause internal bleeding and, death) and, the forever present impaction hazard. These are just a few reasons to not use any type of loose substrate.
If you love your dragon, you won't use it!!!

Nor would I ….

I'd also be very hesitant to buy off a breeder who keeps their hatchlings on (any kind of) sand.

In rearing tubs - two or three layers of paper toweling off the roll (as found in everyone's pantry).

In large tanks - a layer of loose laid ceramic wall or floor tiles with a few layers of paper towels overtop.

Pastella

Walnut shells is probably the worst thing you can use. Harbors bacteria and when ingested can cause so much damage due to the sharpness and potentially a deadly blockage since it is hard to digest. It's well known for being dangerous as a quick google search will show you.

I use a mix of linoleum, ceramic tile and soft blankets in my beardies enclosure.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Guys I’m not asking for your opinion on the dangers of ground walnut. Currently my beardie is on paper towel. I want to know a safe and pretty substrate for the tank I will be purchasing for him.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
QuinnF":2iigu3ys said:
Guys I’m not asking for your opinion on the dangers of ground walnut. Currently my beardie is on paper towel. I want to know a safe and pretty substrate for the tank I will be purchasing for him.
I use rough textured floor tiles. They are very easy to keep clean and very appealing, plus they keep your dragons nails trimmed.

QuinnF

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just from a hardware store? And what do you do if they don’t fit perfectly?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Oh really? I get a knife or pair of scissors and cut them myself. ? Which isn't very fun.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
HippieLizards":11r3qzdu said:
Oh really? I get a knife or pair of scissors and cut them myself. ? Which isn't very fun.
Apparently you using something other than ceramic tile, lol! If not, where can I get a pair of those scissors, lol!!!

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Lol. It's one of those like slate fake tile or something.. not sure how to describe it, but it works great Lol. View media item 60757 Tile like that.

Either that or I am the Hulk and the scissors are magic. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom