Substrate Mixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Shea Loner":51cd4 said:
To prepare play sand you should place it in a clean bucket, cover with water, stir, then drain off the cloudy water on top before it settles. The play sand should stay in the bucket if you drain it slowly. Then it is a simple matter of repeating until the water runs clear. This takes out most of the fine dust particles. Then to dry it simply spread it out on a sheet pan and bake.
For the top soil I would seriously consider baking it as well. You never know what may have found it's way in there. To kill most soil born bacterias and any seeds in the mix it needs to reach a temp 180 degrees. this will essentially 'sterilize' the soil.

Is it okay if the playsand I had bought was already screened and washed? (as said on the label) and then instead maybe mist it down in the tank to reduce dust.

And is there a topsoil out there that ONLY has soil in it? I bought a bag and there are fifty billion pieces of sticks and rocks in it. -_-

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
Top soil has tons of sticks and rocks in it. I use an old screen top to sift through it. It works better if the soil is dry. Its a slow and tedious process.

Don't bake the sand or top soil. You don't want to kill the bacteria. If you do, the dirt will spoil, and you'll be re-sifting new soil in a month. If you want you can add worms and pill bugs to act as a clean up crew. I have some in my largest enclosure, and if the beardies poop in the morning, its half gone by the time I get home.

Your going to have to add water to make the substrate usable (to the dragon). If you don't, it'll be useless and you might as well not use any substrate at all (tile, paper, etc). As long as you have a basking temp of 120-130 your dragons will be fine. Its when the dragons metabolism and immune system is compromised (from low basking temps), that they can't handle any humidity and respiratory problems arise.

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
Hey virus, could you put some pics up of your vivs, i would like to see how the soil is working for you. And also, what size is the largest viv you have?

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
My largest is 5'x30"x30"
DSC02059.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02061.jpg

This is a 40 breeder.
DSC01766.jpg

I have another 40 breeder that looks similar to the other one except its got about 8 inches of sand in it. I also have a 4x2x2 filled with dirt that looks like the first 40 breeder. I have to take pics of them.

Heres a pic of a baby enclosure. I removed the plywood so you can see the burrow the babies make under them.
DSC02075.jpg

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
so in that 40 gal breeder filled with dirt, whered you get it from, and also you have worms and stuff in it or is that in the 4x2x2?
And what substrate do you use for the babies? Sand?
Also, Thanks for the pics.

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
The 40 breeder in the pic has topsoil/playsand mix.

I have the worms in the 5'x30"x30". I should put some in the other dirt enclosures.

I use sand for the babies. I keep the sand moist. I have more humidity in the baby enclosures than I do in the sub-adult and adult enclosures. I allow condensation on the walls of the baby enclosures. The babies dehydrate faster than the adults and the raised humidity allows me to keep them hydrated, and to have perfect sheds, without ever having to bathe them. I use sand because it keeps the babies "clean" looking for selling. The dirt enclosures make the animals dirty :) So you can't see the pretty colors. But the adults are my dragons and are not for sale.

Neromom39

Gray-bearded Member
I just have to ask, if only out of curiosity... have you ever had an issue with respiratory problems due to the raised humidity in the babies' enclosure?

reptilianboy831

Hatchling Member
yea, thats the only problem i would have though of with the dirt. I'd love my beardie no matter what color he was though :). I cant wait to build my custom enclosure this summer, so many more possibilities than the 40 gal breeder trogdors in right now.

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
TheVirus":12c71 said:
Top soil has tons of sticks and rocks in it. I use an old screen top to sift through it. It works better if the soil is dry. Its a slow and tedious process.

Don't bake the sand or top soil. You don't want to kill the bacteria. If you do, the dirt will spoil, and you'll be re-sifting new soil in a month. If you want you can add worms and pill bugs to act as a clean up crew. I have some in my largest enclosure, and if the beardies poop in the morning, its half gone by the time I get home.

Your going to have to add water to make the substrate usable (to the dragon). If you don't, it'll be useless and you might as well not use any substrate at all (tile, paper, etc). As long as you have a basking temp of 120-130 your dragons will be fine. Its when the dragons metabolism and immune system is compromised (from low basking temps), that they can't handle any humidity and respiratory problems arise.

I gave up on the Earth Gro that I bought, being that I did not know that they sell already screened topsoil! (At least the bags were only $1.33 each) The screening with a strainer (w/ small holes) was entirely too tedious, even after I dried it, and having to be at work at 4 killed me.

Though I'm still following through with my plan! And thank you so much VIrus! I am going to Home Depot tomorrow, with little time I have, in search of screened topsoil. And that earth worm/pill bug idea is wow, never would have thought of that. Although wouldn't they try to eat them? Haha.

My temps are fine, my only concern being with the hotter summer months. Although I think I'll stick with my 105-107 basking temps. Even to me that seems to high... but anywho. If you don't mind me asking... I have a 75 gallon tank. In what snad to soil ratio would you suggest? and how much water to you recommend I add?

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
Reptilianboy831,

When you do build a new enclosure, make sure you put the vents on the side, a couple inches above the substrate. You want a solid top with the lights mounted on the inside. No open or screen tops. If you do use a screen top the air movement will rapidly dry out your enclosure and you'll constantly have to add water.

Neromom39,

I've never had URI problems with any of my beardies. The babies enclosures are dry around the lights, humid on the cool end, and even more so in the burrows (humidity gradient). I don't measure humidity so I don't know how high it is. What I do know is, if they're in a dry enclosure, they dehydrate and have shed problems (unless you consistently soak them). If they're enclosures have areas of high humidity, they don't dehydrate, have great sheds, and never need to be soaked.

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
Hey GlueStick,

I would start with a 50/50 mix. This way you can add more sand, or dirt, later on.

When and how much water your going to have to add depends on the enclosure, light bulbs, the dirt, and air movement. I would add water when the first 2-3 inches dries out. If you put a piece of plywood on the dirt like I do, the dirt under the board will take much longer to dry out. This is where my dragons nest and brumate (I use 1/4 inch thick pieces of plywood). When I add water I fill up ice tea pitchers and pour the water in. In time you'll know when to add water and how much, based on your dragons behaviour.

If you have a screen top for your enclosure, I would either build a solid one, or cover the screen with aluminum foil, tape it down, and cut around the lights. If you don't your going to have to add water frequently. Then all you have to do is buy a 45 or 50 watt halogen indoor/outdoor flood bulb and you'll be all set! Good luck :)

GlueStick

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So this is what I ended up buying... and what I am placing in the tank today.

scotts1_r.jpg

Its already screened with no sticks or rocks and no added fertilizers. Basically a filler dirt.

playsand.jpg

and silica free, washed and screened playsand.

I'll take pictures of the finished product

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
Hi I just wanted to share that I tried verious mixtures of "Dirt" Substrates. I used a mixture of organic soil mixed with play sand a few times because the dust in the play sand concerned me as well. However, the soil is always sorta damp in thoes bags so that it is easer to work with and takes several days to dry out...sigh. Also It made Judah dirty and brown. I wanted to keep some sand because he loves burrowing in it to sleep, so i put in half verious types of Natural stone and Washed play snad between the tiles and a little under to hold them in place, and then in the corner under the faux rock ledge is all sand. It work really well the only time i worry about dust is when he diggs but it hasnt seemd to cause any problems what so ever. I really like the sandstone rock that is next to his hide because it is really natural looking . The only thing is I have to keep it on a spot were he wont poo because it has all sorts of little holes where poo can get stuck. It is supose to be sealed so it is not porus, but still it woudl be ahard to clean.

I dont think it is a good idea to have the faux rock as a floor, as someone mentioned. Even though you seal the stuff it still is somewhat of a pain to clean because of the texture. Judah pooed on his shelf a fe times and it was such a pain to clean because of the "rock" texture. Also, Judah diggs into the side of the rock wall down in his hide scraping into the sealed grout. So far it looks like it is haoling up well, but I may have to eventually re grout a fe spots, seal and paint. I think most beardies dig and having the stuff as a floor would be a big pain ( at least for my guy because he digs so much).

But Anyways this is my set up and he seems to love it. I put down Washclothes over the tiles so the sand in the corners of the tile is covered when i feed him. The roaches seem to love to go to the sandy corners and get covered in sand so the cloths keep them clean and then he doesn't pick up any sand.

2jy7fa.jpg

nnv95l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom