Substrate issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Yoshi is on reptile carpet atm. I hate cleaning it and he gets his little claws stuck in it. I want something that is easy to clean but has traction and still looks somewhat natural in his tank. I wondered about sandpaper but figured that might hut him. Any other ideas? :? :|

Mrkngpen

Juvie Member
Non adhesive shelf liner is really cheap ($5 a roll) and comes in a variety of colors. You just wipe it up with paper towels.

I use slate tiles that I got from Home Depot. They are a little more expensive but last forever. The nice thing is that they can be taken out individually and cleaned in the sink.

pumpkinman

Hatchling Member
I personally dont like a natural stone tile like slate because it is porous. The best tile IMO is porcelin. It has more texture than ceramic but still has a glazed surface. look in the clearance section of the local big box store.

Gail

BD.org Addict
shelf liner is kinda spongy and has really good traction, your dragon won't slip around. Traction on tile depends on what kind of texture you get, the slick glazed kind is really slick. The stuff I have is slightly rough but sealed so its easy to clean.

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
How often does the liner need to be replaced? And does it stay in place? I don't want something that will shift.

BindiBoo

Hatchling Member
I have rep. Carpet for my baby Bindi too. While shes eating crix in her other cage I vaccum her poop and do a quick pick up :)

drgnfly2265

Sub-Adult Member
I use non-adhesive shelf liner and I love it. For the little every day poo mess all I have to do is wipe it up. My beardies don't have any problems walking on it at all, it doesn't have a slick/smooth texture. Also it stays in place very well. I just have it cut to the tanks size, lay it down, and just put tank items on top of it. I highly recommend it :mrgreen:

Slave2Scarlett

Gray-bearded Member
I used the shelf liner before I got my tile and it was great.. All u really have to do to clean it is use some of the clorox wipes.. Wipe it down really good and then use a really hot wash cloth and wipe it down to make sure there are no chemicals left on it.. Works like a charm and sanitizes it..

warnisha

Juvie Member
I bought the fake tiles that I didn't stick down and it took the baby a little time to get used to it since he/she was on carpet but I love it, it is so easy to just wipe it clean. My big guy had sand before we got him but never seemed to notice the difference honestly. I just love the tile look to it and at some point want to upgrade to porceline but the budget doesn't permit with the home improvemements we are already doing!!! When we add our bathroom in our basement I will be buying extra tiles just for the beardies!!!! haha! I also have about half of the aquarium with shelf liner over top of the tile becuase the intention for that area was for his sleeping area (made a nice platform with a space to hide under it and everything) so I thought it would be nice for it to be a little cushy there....he doesnt' ever go under it EVER! sleeps on his hammock! goober

PuffPuff11

Hatchling Member
I also use non-adhesive shelf liner it will last years. I just replaced 2 year old shelf liner, not because it was worm out but because I wanted one continuous peice instead of two smaller ones.
The liner in my geckos cage is alittle worn with holes becuase superworms chewed holes in it, if you feed your lizards in a different area, the liner will last years. Puff's had no holes because he never let a superworm get by him or I fed him outside.
The roll I got was 18 in by 6 ft for 5$ at walmart, it fits perfectly in my BD cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom