Substarte for my Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxXAceXxX

Hey all, I am using Crushed walnuts for my substrate. I have been getting a lot of mixed opinions on it. The guy that I bought her/him from told me that (s)he is able to digest it so it won't cause impaction. Other people on these forums say other wise. I have had my beardie for 3 months and not once have I had a problem. (s)he was 5 months when I got her/him. So if you could post you opinion on it and help me that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
The walnut shells are sharp and jagged. I don't believe for one second that they are digestible (maybe passable but not digestible), and if she/he was to pass it, I can only imagine how terrible that is on her system.

Also, when a beardie is young, there is a kink in their digestive tract; this kink actually straightens when they become fully grown. The impaction risk is far greater as a young dragon. Particle substrates of any kind for a young dragon are far to risky IMO.

RedHandFilms

Sub-Adult Member
Crushed walnut is a horrible substrate. It is one of the worst. It is not digestible. If swallowed, the sharp edges will tear up a dragon's insides. On top of that, it is unsanitary. It absorbs bacteria and becomes a breeding ground for them. Use a non-particle substrate such as newspaper, paper towels, reptile carpet, non-adhesive shelf liner, or (the forum favorite) textured ceramic or slate tiles.

shanerp69

I have to agree too, the walnut would be like passing a kidney stone out the back end :shock:

Personally I use sand but wait until all my dragons get to around 8+ months and have never had a problem, and so far as a bacteria breeding ground, there are plenty of natural disinfectants you can use that are not harmful to anyone/anything :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom