Stuck shed? Black back

Sabra

Beardie name(s)
Neo
Hi all. I’m starting to get concerned about this black coloration on my dragon Neo. It looks like stuck shed and it’s been like this for over a month. I thought he would eventually shed it off but it’s not changing. I’ve given him warm baths and rubbed the area with a toothbrush but I don’t know what else to do?

He’s just now turning one year old and I read it could be a sign he wants to mate? The internet is impossible you’ll find a million different answers for a symptom. But common sense tells me he’s having a shedding issue. I know you’re all going to ask about his husbandry let’s just say I’ve done my research. He has a new UVB bulb inside his enclosure, proper basking temperature and a nice thermal gradient from 98F to 84F. Two hides, one in the hot and cool sides. This is not due to lack of care, I obsess over him daily.

Attached is a photo of his back (he’s trying to dig in the corner) and a photo of his enclosure

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1248.jpeg
    IMG_1248.jpeg
    346 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1249.jpeg
    IMG_1249.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 61

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It is just shed and it will 100 % come off in time. His enclosure looks nice, good use of his space with several basing options. You might lower the cool end to 78-80 F. If the humidity is low you can spray him lightly in the tank, that can help him shed but it's not a real problem. Big handsome boy. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It is just shed and it will 100 % come off in time. His enclosure looks nice, good use of his space with several basing options. You might lower the cool end to 78-80 F. If the humidity is low you can spray him lightly in the tank, that can help him shed but it's not a real problem. Big handsome boy. :)
Humidity in the tank is what aids in shedding- if you can get it to 40-50% that is good - it can be higher up to 70 and as low as 20% -- but the humidity will help

Sabra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Neo
Oh good you think it will eventually come off? That is a relief, it doesn't look necrotic do you think? I will start misting his cage (although the hates it when I spray him lol). Do you think once daily or how frequently? I at one point was monitoring the humidity but then the battery died in the unit. It was around 45-50% humidity in there.

I stopped monitoring humidity because there isnt much I can do to raise / lower it as its just bound to my house humidity. Also same for heat, If I put a lower watt bulb to keep the cool side at 78 the basking spot isnt sufficient, its a real difficult balance in the summer :(

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
Oh good you think it will eventually come off? That is a relief, it doesn't look necrotic do you think? I will start misting his cage (although the hates it when I spray him lol). Do you think once daily or how frequently? I at one point was monitoring the humidity but then the battery died in the unit. It was around 45-50% humidity in there.

I stopped monitoring humidity because there isnt much I can do to raise / lower it as its just bound to my house humidity. Also same for heat, If I put a lower watt bulb to keep the cool side at 78 the basking spot isnt sufficient, its a real difficult balance in the summer :(
I totally understand I live in hot weathers especially it's hot in the summer! I wouldn't be too worried about it. As long as you try keep the humidity up then you should be fine

Sabra

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Neo
I totally understand I live in hot weathers especially it's hot in the summer! I wouldn't be too worried about it. As long as you try keep the humidity up then you should be fine
OK I will make a concerted effort to raise the humidity by misting the cage and monitoring it. Thank you all, promise I will keep you updated. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He will eventually shed that off! I wouldn't mist the tank though, that can contribute to mold or mildew
problems. You can put in a water dish for half the day then remove it for overnight.
If needed, you use some glycerin, aloe vera gel or shea butter on the area to give a little moisture for
his skin to help. Do you bathe him weekly?
He looks good though & your tank is nice & bright as well!

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
OK I will make a concerted effort to raise the humidity by misting the cage and monitoring it. Thank you all, promise I will keep you updated. :)
You can use a wet dish cloth- set it in the tank and it will raise the humidity but I would get the hygrometer battery replaced and get a reading on it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Shea butter is good but the problem is the substrate will stick to it. Dry coco fiber sticks to everything. If you measure the humidity you'll know if it needs to be raised or not before you try to alter it one way or another. BTW a light misting several times a day wouldn't cause mold, it dries pretty quickly but you def. wouldn't do any heavy misting .

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom