Stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillinspike

Hatchling Member
I think my bd is a little stressed, he has black lines on his stomache and he seems a little sketched out sometimes, i have a dog who is usually in the same room with us, could the dog be causing stress to my bd, and if so wat should i do, just keep my dog out of my room, not sumthin i want to do, but if i have to i have no prob with doing that, i just want to make sure my bd is healthy and stress free, what should i do, i know others on here have other animals around there bd, how could i possibly get mine use to my dog? :?:

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hello there,

How long have you had your little guy?
Could you take us through your set up?
What lighting you are using, substrate etc.
Please be as specific as you can.

Holly

chillinspike

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ive had him for about a month, he is about 7 inches long, i have a 75 watt baskin light, and a 10.0 uvb light i just put in 2 days ago, my substrate is sand, he is in a 20 gallon tank, yesterday was the first time i tried to feed him kale, he didnt really like it to much, he loves carrots tho, i have a baskin rock, water dish, pertified wood in his cage also, im also using a heated pad under his viv also, it sits about in the center of the viv and help would be great, he seems like he wants to get out of the cage alot also, he tried his hardest sometimes to get out, sometimes he has all legs off the ground his tail will only be holding him up sometimes, i try to hold him everyday, lately he has kinda gotten adventurous and has jumped off my hand onto my shirt which freaked me out, i tried to give him a bath, he jumped out of my hand once i even got a little bit of his body in the water, wat should i do, i know he needs baths BUT i def dont want him to get loose around my house since i have a pit bull :roll: any help would be wonderful

Little D

Hatchling Member
Okay, I'm pretty new to this as well but I will point out things that I see and someone else can correct me or fill in what I miss.

First, not knowing the age of your BD, sand may and likely is a bad thing. Here is a care sheet the will explain the substrate thing better.

http://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/caresheet/

Another thing, the temps are VERY important and you should post these if you know them. The basking side should be anywhere from 110 - 120 and the cool side should be around 80. Also, the heating pad underneath should be taken out. Dragons can't feel the heat on their stomachs and it may get too warm. Also, by having it near the center of the tank, you're not providing him with a cool side where he can escape from the heat once in a while.

Another thing that stands out with me is the carrots. These are something that should only be fed to them once in a while. Here is a link to a nutrition sheet to help you with this. Also, are you giving him/her calcium?

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

Also, the 10 UVB light, do you know what Brand it is? A Reptisun or a Reptiglo or some other?

As I said, I'm also learning and I'm sure someone else will give you better information. I am just trying to help out and give back to a community that helped me when I was starting :D

chillinspike

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ya its a repti glo uvb bulb, and stupid petstore sold me stuff i didnt need, i still need 2 buy a temp gauge, i stopped feeding him carots, i tried kale lat night and he ate a bit, not much at all, and ya he is gettin calcium from the criks, i get the petstore to dust them for me, and thanks for the help and the links, are the black lines stress lines, should i be worried that i also have a dog in my room with the dragon also, i will post pics up sometime and see what you guys and gals think

Little D

Hatchling Member
To further help you, the Reptiglo 10 bulbs are no good and will actually do more harm to your BD then good. A Reptisun is the best bulb. There are others too but I'm not familiar with all the different brands and which are good or bad. I just know about the Reptiglo bulbs because that is all that is available in my area. However, I have found that the same pet stores here that carry the Reptiglos, will order me Reptisuns when I need them. They're a little more pricey but if they're better for the Dragon, then it's worth it!

Zemanski

Hatchling Member
do you have a bulb or tube uvb?

if it is a bulb you risk damaging your beardie's eyes and skin, especially when it is new; it may be the new bulb that is causing the stress, many beardies live quite happily in the same room as other animals

You should buy a uvb tube - reptisun 10.0 or arcadia 12% with a starter kit

chillinspike

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well it was the bulb and he seemed a bit stressed before the bulb, i dont know it may be that i just need a uvb tube for him to be more active then he is, i also threw away the receipt from the petstore where i bought the bulb, so im out of like 18 bucks :banghead: :angry5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom