Stress ?? Please Help PICS INCLUDED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett

Hey guys,
So I need your help and opinion on a couple things regarding my little guys stress marks.

So I got my new guy about a month ago, maybe a month in a half.. He was born June 1st 2013. I got him from a breeder, whom is a GREAT guy btw, has a bunch of great babies and they are all so tame.. I was amazed how tame my guy was when I got him, I picked him up before I actually even gave the guy any money, carried him around with me as he showed me all his adults he is using for breeding.

ANYWAYS..
Gucci is fine when he is running around, his colours get crazy bright, no stress marks.. When I pick him up, most of the time his stress marks goes away depending on how long I hold him for.. Until he tries to dip from me and I keep him running from hand to hand lol.
Its when he goes to his basking spot and chills there for a while.. At first I thought it was because his log doesnt go to high up the tank, its a pretty tall tank so I thought.. Maybe he wasnt getting the proper light and heat (Those times I had the coil uvb light which everyone doesnt recommend) and the Exo Terra Daylight Basking Spot light..
So I went a purchased a clamp light which I could move around and get closer to him.. NOW he basks with his mouth open, which I read a long time ago was called gaping and that was a good thing? Not sure how everyone feels about that now because back then when I bought my first female beardie Kai, who has passed away a couple months ago.. No one complained about the Coil UVB lights.
Here are his stress marks

I have switched his enclosure around now, like I said with the new clamp light for his basking light and I now have the Repti Glo 10.0 UVB tube light.. This is his enclosure.

Using these lights

The temp on his hot side is about 105f and the cool side is about 75f .

Judging by the set up.. Can anyone spot something that could be wrong?

Barrett

Original Poster
Sorry, I forgot to add that..

He is almost 4 four months and he is in quite a large enclosure .. Ive had him for about a month in a half.. could it just be a phase and he is not yet used to his move?

Or could it have something to do with death? My girl Kai passed away in there a few months ago.. She was on sand that was above the tile thats in there now.. I took the tile out and cleaned it and vacuumed all the sand stuff that she was on..

Any of these a factor?
I just dont want him to be stressed out all of the time I want him to have a good life like my girl Kai did..

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi there he's a cutie. Its probably the uvb light. It does not give of the right amount of rays. You need to get the Reptisun 10.0 Tube. Also the basking light needs to be in the same spot as the uvblight. The light from the uvb by its self bothers their eyes.

Barrett

Original Poster
Damn.. Thats the one I ment to get!!! Ugh I spent a whole day almost running around to get more stuff for him yesterday too... Thanks I appreciate it

Barrett

Original Poster
Will do for sure!
Going to exchange the bulb tomorrow and get the reptisun and see how that goes!

How'd you get ur tube lightening like that? I have a fixture that I need to put in but it's going to look gross. I like how you have the tube. How'd you get it like that? Did you buy that kind of fixture? Or did you make it?

Barrett

Original Poster
Hey,
It's the Exo Terra Light fixture. I just got the basic one because they are quite expensive ! I paid just under $80 for this one and it holds two 20watt lights in it, I heard people using some higher power bulbs and it was fine. You HAVE to have two bulbs connected in order for it to work though. The chords were all tied so it was easy to just hang from the top of the tank then i taped it just to make sure it doesn't go anywhere.

There are better Light fixture Units from Exo terra that has a cycling setting which I think turns on the lights at low power and it gradually increases power over a certain time which obviously gradually increases amount of UVB being delivered over that period of time to give a sunrise simulation,csame thing for night time for sunset simulation. I am not sure how much those ones cost but there are videos on YouTube, check them out!

aegillesp

Hatchling Member
I know most go for the name brand of fixtures, but when I bought the bigger Repisun Bulb, I just went to walmart and picked up a light fixture for $10 then I used the Velcro strips that you can pull off when you're done.

It might be relocation stress? Everything I see looks OK, My guy was stressed for a while after I moved him to a bigger tank and eventually everything went back to normal. I wouldn't change anything for a while. Maybe give him a treat like a Waxworm? Simon eats those babies up like candy! Which I know are candy to them.. but he is HILARIOUS when he sees one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom