Stress Marks and Squinty Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjhab24

So after being a nice bright orange color for a while, Kim is kind of a pastel color now when she isn't dark brown with lots of stress marks. She has squinty eyes sometimes. I have a thermometer with a probe and can raise/lower the lamps as needed to manipulate the temp. I figured she might be too hot (cus of the squinty eyes and brownish color) but even though I've raised the lamp a lot higher (and therefore lowered the temp) she still has stress marks. The UVB I have is the coil reptisun 10.0, have a 20 gallon tank, and a 75 watt (tight beam) heating bulb. Anything I can do to make her happy again? Is she cold?

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
I maybe wrong, but I believe coil lights are very bad for beardies eyes. You would need a reptisun 10 tube light. So she could be upset because her eyes are hurting. I would turn off the light and go purchase a tube light. It is better for her to go without uvb until you get the right one. I hope someone else posts to verify what I am saying. But I am 98% positive. I also know that a flood light is best for the basking light. You can buy flood lights at wal-mart for cheaper then in a petstore. I have a 50watt works wonders. Temps should be no higher then 105 (if she is an adult) during the day and no lower then 65F at night.

cjhab24

Original Poster
She's a baby. I thought that the reptisun was a good one, I didn't know there was a tube version too. Would she be OK without the tube for a month until I get her a bigger tank? I don't think a tube will fit on the top of her tank right now, and I was planning on getting her a bigger tank after my classes end in a month

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
cjhab24":1n6untvf said:
She's a baby. I thought that the reptisun was a good one, I didn't know there was a tube version too. Would she be OK without the tube for a month until I get her a bigger tank? I don't think a tube will fit on the top of her tank right now, and I was planning on getting her a bigger tank after my classes end in a month
Reptisun is good but not the coil version. the tube comes in all different sizes but you would also have to buy a hood to go along with it. petmountain.com has amazing prices if you are in the states. baby temps are between 105F and 110F but the same for night no lower then 65F. I am not sure if she would be okay to go without uvb for a month, but i do no it isnt good for her to continue being under the current bulb because it is already affecting her eyes. It is a good idea to get her a bigger tank, and I would buy the light that would fit the new cage so you wouldnt have to buy to of them.

cjhab24

Original Poster
What about those mercury vapor or whatever you call them bulbs? Or should I stick with the tube/heating bulb?

PuffMagic

Juvie Member
I have been using a tube and a heating surce for 3 years now and find it incredibly irritating to pay for a new uvb bulb every 6 mths. and change the heating source whenever it dies which seems often. I am switching to MVB in the next few months because it is uvb/heating source all in one plus you only have to replace it every 12 mths. but I dont have much info on thsoe bulbs yet. I actually just posted a new topic to try and get more info on them no reponses yet tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom