Stress marks and dark colouring

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my beardie now for just over two weeks. He turned out to be a male and not a female as i originally thought so his name has been changed to Nova :)

After getting help from on here about a few other things which i am incredibly grateful for, i'm back with another issue. Nova had shed his body and head 5 days ago and since then he's had almost constant stress marks and he's always dark in colour. The only times his colour brightens and his stress marks disappear is when he's sleeping, eating, and sometimes when he has a bath. I know stress marks and darkened colour can be caused by multiple things but i can't figure out what's causing them.

He's still eating perfectly, is definitely hydrated enough. He still basks, is still active, but i do feel like he's become slightly more sluggish than before he shed and is reluctant to get up in the morning. His temps are 39-43c at the basking spot on different parts of the rock so he can decide how hot he wants to be, and his cool end is 25-26c. I've lowered his UV light a bit since i was worried it was too high, and that hasn't fixed his stress marks. I am a bit worried, since i don't know what's stressing him out so i can't fix it. Is there anything else i can do, or should i take him to my vet?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....stress marks are really mislabeled +misunderstood in the beardie world. They can simply be from excitement or just normal every day activity. Nothing at all to worry about, Nova will be fine. :)

Novathebeardie

Original Poster
That's really good to hear. I was just a bit worried :) thank you so much for always helping me! Would there be much of a reason why they disappear when he does certain activities, or is that likely to be something that he just does for no specific reason?

DaisyDragon123

Sub-Adult Member
Stress marks really don't indicate stress. They will appear and disappear throughout the day. My dragon, DaisyDragon, had them while basking. They are nothing to worry about.

A more acurate coloration for stress is the black beard, not to be confused with the blackish lines that are seen in many dragons' beards. Dragons will get a pitch black beard when ill, angry, excited when seeing another dragon (teritorial).

Don't worry about so-called stress marks. This idea should go, along with dragons drinking water from their vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom