Stress and what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiketheleucistic

Hatchling Member
My beardie spike is acting stressed lately. This started when we moved him into my garage. Before he was in my room. He cowers in the corner of his cage and turns black (hes leucistic) and wont eat. He has been this way for about 2 weeks now. I make an effort to get him out of his cage at leat once a day and he returns to normal coloring when hes with me. I am worried because he has eaten almost no greens and about 10-15 crickets in 2 weeks. Moving him back to my room isnt really an option as we are trying to sell our house currently.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
If his viv temps are okay out in the garage and his UVB didn't get damaged in the move, Spike could just be going through relocation stress. As long as he's well-hydrated I've heard they can go for a while without eating, since adults are pretty hardy critters. But if you're worried you could always offer him some baby food. Squash flavor seems to be a favorite with beardies, even my picky adult likes it. :) You can add a little pinch of his supplements to the baby food too if you'd like. (I mentioned the damaged UVB thing because it just happened to my ReptiSun tube. I accidentally dropped it on a couple occasions and now it's not working right, grr. Just another option to check out :))

Since he's used to being in your room which probably smells like you, you could try putting a worn, unwashed shirt or pillowcase in with him and that might help! Depending on the dragon, it can take 2-4 weeks (or even longer) to get over relocation stress.
Good luck with Spike! Human and beardie fingers & toes are crossed that he's feeling back to his old self soon :) :)

Hi, I don't know if it's to late to reply, but all info helps right? Right.
I'm glad he's a little more. Comfortable. Beardies, considering how strange they act, are very intelligent creatures and can compare things ( for example, my first beardie, Geno who passed, had known what his food was kept in. Everytime I took the crickets out of my closet, he would go bizzurk! I suggest maybe bringing him into your bedroom ( since he most likely knows what it is still) and feed him in their, make him feel comfortable. Let him know he's still home.

Spiketheleucistic

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, thanks. He's still not eating and I think he's losing weight. He's looking awfully skinny.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: WILL YOU JUST EAT SOMETHING!!!!

Have you ever tried/or considered force feeding greens? When my Geno was sick and not eating, force feeding was the only available option. Since your beardie is malnourished, I suggest getting either basil or oregano and take the stick piece of the basil and with tweezers ( gently) pry his mouth open and shove the basil in. He will either a) spit it out or b) eat it. May I ask why he was moved

Why? It's just as much of a good pet like any boring cat or dog? Besides, aren't people going to want to look in the garage? Lol embrace dah beardie!! Lol but good luck with the move. If u want pm me

Spiketheleucistic

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah, but just remember that people who don't own one will still think they are gross. I agree with you but people will still think irrationally about him. They should be more ok with him in the garage, according to my mom. My turtle got moved down there as well. I was wondering though , could he be trying to Brumate?

I don't think so- if his temps are right, he's active during the day, and is rarely sleeping, than its not brumating. I see by your profile you live in NC ( USA right?) I live in seaside and it's cooler now but nc's temps shouldn't be so low already because you're closer to the equator than I am. But with this wacky weather- idk anymore. L0L. Hows the humidity? The turtle water could be evaporating into the air causing humidity to rise causing him not to eat

Spiketheleucistic

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Maybe... I hadn't thought of that. And yes it's actually gotten unusually cold this year 60-70 daytime temperature and 50-60 at night. So cold at night in the garage that we added a nighttime heat bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom