Strange suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheryllmw

Charlie is still alive and kicking after months of rehab, but hasn't really improved. Recently we took him to the vet and he was "dehydrated, malnurished and had pathologic fractures noted to his right upper limb which prohibits him from walking correctly and flipping himself over". It was suggested to me to 1) Get bug sweepings from the front porch 2) Glue a fake fingernail to his right upper limb 3) Get a micronutrient solution from GNC to give him to boost his nutrition. Oh, and he also is now on Corid drops for worms/parasites.

My questions are....What is a micronutrient solution....what am I looking for since I am sure I will have to buy at least a gallon of it they way they package those things. Are there any other things other than a "fake fingernail" that I can use to help splint his little arm? We have seen an increase in his hydration and he is back on his neo-calglucon drops for stronger bones. No change in lights, heating, cages, activity....just what are the drops and what can I use for splinting?

shadi11

BD.org Addict
Is there any other vet you could possibly see?
Corid is used to treat coccidia. but I havent heard of it being used in reptiles. It wont help with parasited. Did Charlie have a fecal and test positive for parasites and coccidia?
I wouldnt take anything off the front porch to feed him. you dont know where its been.. or what it has gotten into or why it died.
Micro nutrient is a protien powder typically used to help loose weight from what I know. The nutrients in the shake keeps you feeling full..
Since I havent been around in awhile could you give me some history on your dragon. Just so I know what treatments might be best. why was he being rehabed? is he eating on his own, hows his weight?
and also there is some other ways to splint a leg if theres not other vets available around you. but without a professional it may not be splinted right and could heal wrong..

Cheryllmw

Original Poster
Yes, he was fecal positive for coccidia. He is being treated for MBD and we have spent oodles of time and money getting his cage just right. He has gained weight and length. Loves his meal worms, can't chase crickets since the MBD has caused some nerve damage to his rear legs. He told me to super glue the nail to his arm? I will get the micro nutrient stuff but am leary of the bug suggestion. He is perking up a bit, but he will always be "special".

shadi11

BD.org Addict
Cheryllmw":44bd7 said:
Yes, he was fecal positive for coccidia. He is being treated for MBD and we have spent oodles of time and money getting his cage just right. He has gained weight and length. Loves his meal worms, can't chase crickets since the MBD has caused some nerve damage to his rear legs. He told me to super glue the nail to his arm? I will get the micro nutrient stuff but am leary of the bug suggestion. He is perking up a bit, but he will always be "special".

He will always be special because of the MBD. you can never reverse that. can only stop it from getting worse.
I looked back so I would know what to say to you.
Corid? are you giving that to him now? its not formulated for reptiles. Can be very easily overdosed and cause issues as well. Dragons are always positive for coccidia. its weather the count is high or not. I am wondering if you vet is looking for that.
Instead of mealworms you could give superworms, or hornworms. they should be as easy to get as the mealworms and he will get more from them.
Also has he ever tested positive for parasites?
another thing is.. the micronutrient stuff.. if he is eating on his own i would say he doesnt really need it. If you want there is an Ensure.. its Soy free. i have a bottle at home i can get you the name off later but that has calcium in it and it also helps with weight I would only use it if dragon isnt eating. I will normally grind it with greens and feeders.
I have a dragon at home who cant move his hind legs very well and one of his front. he does fairly well with everything on his own.
And no I wouldnt glue a fake nail to him. Did he show you where the break in the leg was?

Cheryllmw

Original Poster
I guess the level was high and he mentioned that it was highly concentrated even in it's diluted form; so he literally gets one drop of the medicine.
The only resource I have here is Petsmart and I can get meal worms and never seen the others mentioned.
He is growing and getting longer and fatter and eats on his own, but will sadly never be "normal". We didn't xray the little guy, he was simply guessing that was why he can't use his arm given the MBD history. He is the only reptile vet in town, so I have no other choice. We will keep plugging along with him and look for the other types of worms.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
I know for a fact PetSmart sells superworms, but not hornworms. Get the supers, they are a lot more food worth. And, ask your vet for an alternative prescription if that is possible, and ask him exactly why he told you the test were why they were. Like the post said above, all Beardies have coccidia, it just depends on the count, maybe he doesnt know that lol? I know hes a vet but he sounds kinda sketchy to me.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
We rescued Angel in Mar/09; she was 16 mo old approx & had never had UVB light, which is really important to help stop MBD. I contacted Tracie, a moderator on this forum, and she told me to give Angel liquid calcium daily by oral syringe, .01ml per 100grams. When we got Angel she was malnourished, dehydrated and really skinny. She could only shuffle on her elbows to move. The first thing we did was get her a new 40 gallon critter tank, put towels all over it and got her a mercury vapour light, Power Sun 160w. It gives heat as well as light & because she can't get out of her tank we don't have to put the top on. The liquid calcium did the trick, plus she just drank and drank for 2 days. Because she was so weak I started her off with babyfood, chicken w/veggies & squash. After a few days she was able to eat super worms & salad (ground up squash & small pieces of bok choy and collard greens, also raspberries and blueberries, in moderation, just one at a time). I also gave her a bath each morning, in which she tried to jump out in her small fashion. With all these treatments & the good UVB, her joints strengthened up and she started to gain weight. Within 3 months she started running on her feet, instead of shuffling on her elbows. When we got her she was 16" long & 252 grams. She's now 17" long and weighs 400 grams. She has amazed us with her tenacity and strength. She now jumps high enough in the bath (kitchen sink) to almost reach the top. She still gets bathed daily, also I feed her water from an oral syringle with electrolytes in it. This has all helped. Even though she'll always be special, she can now jump from the bottom on her tank onto the top of her log. She loves her tank, loves her UVB and now loves to cuddle. She has her own thread in Beardie Rescues under "Meet Angel", there are pictures and videos to show how well she's doing. We've taken her to the vet twice, the vet was very impressed with her progress. She had parasites during the summer, she was on Panacur for 10 days & she's now parasite free. So please check out her site, there's lots of information as to what we did to help her heal.

All our best to you
Deborah and my beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom