Stomach/Digestion problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
This is going to be quite long, but were running out of options at this point, and hoping someone out there knows something.

Our Bearded Dragon Fritz who is 2 is having some problems, it seems as though everytime he eats he gets what looks like acid reflux symptoms, holding himself up, puffing his beard, this weird swalloing motion where he swerves his whole body in sort of an s shape. He would also involuntarily throw up liquid when we picked him up or if he was angled downwards. The liquid smelled acidic. our vet tested a sample of it and she said it didnt do anything or it either had too much acid for their strips to test

This started with superworms only, and then escalated to soft bodied foods as well.

We've been to the vet had multiple x rays, and a barium x ray, it did show some air in his diegestive system. we were prescirbed Cisapride in the mean time as our vet suspeted GI stasis. On tuesday they went inside of him with a scope and again did not find anything.

Were trying to get him schedualed for an ultrasound tomorrow, Im just waiting to hear back from the vet about that, and also blood work.

his symptoms seem to be getting worse, occuring more often now than before. He will willingly eat but once he does the symptoms will start in a few hours causing him to go off food for about 3 days which is usually when the symptoms calm down. Then he will eat again and we start all over.

the last 2 days i have been giving him a slurrey of probiotics, unpasterized raw honey, some cantaloup as i saw it helps relieve acid relux in humans, and some collard greens.

Has anyone expirienced anything like this, at this point our vet seems stumped and after an ultrasound and blood work our only option is exploritory surgery which we do not want to put him through.

His husbandry is good, basking spot of 100, 80 cool side, no loose substrate, recently just replaced his repitsun 10 with an arcadia d3 12%

Also he poops regulary, I have photos of his poop from the last 5 days, I also have a video of the odd swerving motion.

Through all this he has remained active, alert, bright coloured. He has dropped from 496 gram to 478 since August 12th. Im not sure if the anesthesia had a part in the weight loss or not.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry Fritz is having such trouble. Does he do the strange behavior constantly throughout the day ? Does the fluid come out most of the time when picked up or just once in a while ? Does he drink if you soak him " Some beardies bring water up after drinking. What other insects does he eat [ you mentioned soft bodied ]

Superworms have never caused that reaction in any of my beardies, but if that's when it started it's probably best to avoid them. Still, it may be totally unrelated.

And just in case....is there any chance he ate a foreign object [ even a fake plant leaf ] either in or out of his tank ?

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The strange behaviour when we first noticed symptoms would only happen once in a while after eating, now it has become more frequent and as of last night id say hes been doing it like every 15 mins or so.

We havent had much liquid come out of him since stopping hard bodied foods.
The first time it happend after the supers it was enough to soak 2 paper towels, and since then it has happened id say 2 more times with each time decreasing in the ammount of liquid that has come out.

He does not drink water when I soak him, he never has, ive always relied on hornworms for hydration or given liquids with a dropper.

The soft bodied foods he gets are majority hornworms, and then butterworms as a treat like 2 times a month. Our vet told us to keep him on the hornworms since he seemed to be doing fine with those, but now he is not.

He even reacted with the weird behaviour to the slurry, mind you he was already having symptoms from the hornworm when i did this.

He doesnt have any fake plants in his viv, and i do watch him closely outside, it is possible he may have ingested something outside, but the xrays didnt show anything nor the scope. They could only go so far inside of him with the scope, not past his stomach i believe, so thats why they want to do the ultrasound to see the rest of the digestive system.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I hope you get some answers....others might chime in with their thoughts as well. Has the probiotic/honey mixture helped at all ?

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
us to, the vet did contact me and confirmed that the ultrasound tech is going to try and squeeze him in tomorrow, and he will be getting a blood test. I will be dropping him off around noon. We wont get results from either of those until Sunday as our Vet doesn't work until Sunday.

The mixture doesn't appear to have helped, he is still holding himself up right now and doing the odd swallowing wiggle.

Yeah I hope someone else might see this who has experienced something similar to whats going on.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Does anyone think this could possibly be symptoms of a partial impaction? we're just reaching for anything at this point. He's never been on loose substrate but her does go outside and run around the house.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I got your email about the possible enlarged liver Tracie. Is there anything that can be done for that, I would like to start whatever that is immediately while we wait for the result of the tests tomorrow.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Nathan,

I am so sorry little Fritz is having such a hard time. He sure is a trooper, with everything he is
going through & has been for awhile.
That's too bad the slurries aren't really helping much. I watched the short video of him & he
didn't have a black beard but it did appear he was a little uncomfortable.
A tumor has been ruled out correct, since they did x-rays on him?
I was thinking of an enlarged liver or a possible tear in the GI tract somehow. An ultrasound
will definitely show something like that & a blood test will be extremely helpful in showing
the liver & kidney values.
Are you keeping him around 80 overnight right now, to help boost his immune system since he
isn't feeling well? At least he is interested in food though, so hopefully he isn't feeling too
terribly bad.
I'm happy you were able to get him into the vets for an ultrasound & bloodwork today (friday),
& hopefully you will get the results back quickly!

Tracie

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah they have done multiple xrays at this point and 2 doctors have looked at them and they didnt see any tumours, I am going to see if I can get a copy of those today as well.
We are keeping him between 80-85 at night.

yes we are hoping these 2 tests will give us some answers, so we can start treatment.

Thank you for getting back to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom