STILL wont eat veggies!!?? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Thats awesome. last week we changed ours and moved it into the cage. big change. the first day he was so active I thought i solved the issue ya know? I was so excited. but no. hasnt helped a thing. im glad it helped you though.

Well thank's wolf, Have you tried doing the mix with live food and veggies, especially veggies that are colorful and fragrant? Has he licked/tasted it? What type of food dish are you serving his meal's in? Doe's the food stand out where he can see it or doe's it blend in? Any way I will pray for you and your kid, keep me posted... Your friend Charles :?

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
I could really imagine what it was like to see your dragon react to the light. I thought i was in the same boat. Oh well. Anyway, ive never answered questions like those before. Tomorow ill answer. Maybe ive missed something.

Thanks so much. :D

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey guys. I am getting into the vet soon I think on the 20 th. but, I think it is brumating for sure now because he crawled into his hide on the cool side on his own. He has been in there since around 6. A few questions since this is his first time brumating.
1) should I feed him? How much?
2) should I bathe him to keep hydrated? How often?
3) should I worry about him getting cold? Sometimes the tiles in there can get chilly.
4) will he get UVB? If he is hiding all the time will he get enough UVB?

Thanks a ton guys!!!

Mustashio

Juvie Member
mrgoogls":2ph4am20 said:
Hey guys. I am getting into the vet soon I think on the 20 th. but, I think it is brumating for sure now because he crawled into his hide on the cool side on his own. He has been in there since around 6. A few questions since this is his first time brumating.
1) should I feed him? How much?
2) should I bathe him to keep hydrated? How often?
3) should I worry about him getting cold? Sometimes the tiles in there can get chilly.
4) will he get UVB? If he is hiding all the time will he get enough UVB?

Thanks a ton guys!!!

It's our first brumation too, but I'll do my best to answer based on what I know and have been doing.
1. What to feed and how much? I think whatever he wants to eat is fine. Keep offering, just realize that it probably wont be much. If it is full brumation, he may not eat anything at all for months! (Since Tashi is only semi brumating, I can hardly wait for that worrisome day to come!...insert sarcasm here!)

2. Bathing: From what I heard, it is good to continue to bathe him. If he is eating anything, you will want him to poop it out because I have heard that even digested food can get icky and parasitic if left in their tum tum for too long without excretion! In fact it is a good idea to get a fecal parasite test done at the vet before they go into full brumation just to be sure they don't have parasites. While in the bath, massage the belly from front to vent to get the motion of the ocean moving! Tashi will only poop in his bath. I think he is a little OCD about his home and likes to keep it clean. If he does go in his viv, it is always in the same place and it is almost always out of view, like behind his climb or under a bush! Haha! Crazy dragon! ALSO...another poster was talking about their dragon having hard chalky urates despite daily soaks, going on a 1 week calcium hiatus, etc. Mustashio was doing that too, and one of the other moderators was saying that she had a dragon that for whatever reason, did not absorb water through his vent, even with daily soaks. She had to syringe feed water daily! Especially during brumation when they weren't eating the wet vegi's (of course right now our dragons are not eating vegis at all and that is why your reading this post!)

3. Getting cold: Yep...Tashi will not go to his basking spot on his own unless I put him there. He'll stay there awhile but then would rather go scratch his way into a corner and hide his nose under some plants or go in his hide on the cool side. I worried about it a little because even if I let him run around outside his viv, which he normally loves to do, he would wiggle his way to the closest corner and scratch and duck for cover. Of course he gets cold then too. I think the baths help to warm him up a bit too cuz he seems a little more active right after a bath and will even try and scratch his way out when he has had enough. He loves his baths though.

4. UVB? Someone else may have to help you out here because I'm not sure about my advice. But I've heard that since they are not eating as much, they are not getting as much calcium, and so they won't need a ton of UVB to help metabolize the calcium if there isn't much to metabolize. Does that make sense? I don't know for sure about this one though so maybe others can chime in.

Russell84

Hatchling Member
I recently posted something on getting BD's to eat greens. Maybe this can help?http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=183371

Mustashio

Juvie Member
Okay, I had to write that this morning when I was giving Tashi a bath, I tried to dangle a piece of collard in front of him (expecting to have to wiggle it under his lip if he was going to eat it). I was just dangling it in front of him and he looked at it, closed his eyes, shook his little head as if to say "No way! You're not getting me to eat that again!", and then used his right hand to scratch at his head. It was hilarious! :lol:

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
okay guys. SO sorry i havent posted in forever!!!! its been exams and stuff with school and trying to get a part time job and BLAHHHH. no time. well anyways. i did get phoenix into the vet like i said. she said he was it pretty much perfect health. but SLIGHTLY dehydrated so increase baths from like once a week to everyday for a while. but, with his fecal test, he tested positive for pinworms. sadface. good news though, we got the meds, and after only 2 treatment he is showing good signs of improvement. he ate a few peices of greens. about one per day. so ill keep you posted on how he is going.

Mustashio

Juvie Member
Awe! Glad you got to the bottom of it! Tashi had worms and parasites when he was really little only a few weeks after we brought him home. They didn't think he would make it, and $150 worth of vet bills, some panacur meds and a weeks worth of syringe feeding later he was back to good health! Hopefully your little guy will continue to improve and eat more of those greens! We're still hoping for a vegi miracle over here!!

Jill

Mustashio

Juvie Member
I was simply going to start another thread, but then...WHY?

Same story, same ending! I think we are going on this little "unauthorized vegi hiatus" for almost 5 or 6 months now, and I am DONE waiting! I have tried syringe feeding baby food green beans, squash and pumpkin but he will NOT eat greens. He hates the syringe too, so I try not to do it too often because I get quite the stink eye and he'll even swipe my hand away like a dog scratching his ears!

He is still eating crickets and phoenix worm and butters and occasionally a treat of horned worms. I'm not worried about him not eating enough, but he has not eaten ANY greens at all. They are offered every day but not a bite out of them! I did notice some red bell pepper in his poop occasionally when I would add that to the salad, but otherwise NOTHING! Poops have been fine but I am still obsessing about the anti-vegi thing. He used to eat 2 bowlfuls when he was a baby! Grr! I've tried adding vegis to a bowl of worms--can't outsmart the dragon. Tried adding a dressing--wouldn't touch it. Tried sliding a piece of collard greens into his mouth--he literally shakes his head away from it! Still waiting for the miracle thread that has the answers! Ugh!

We will be going for a yearly check-up at the vet, and this Momma is going to have to tell the Doc how naughty Tashi has been!

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hey guys. sorrys is been sooooooooooooo long. iv been really busy latly. Phoenix is (im sososososo happy to say this you cant even imagine) getting better! he has pooped almost every day for the past like week(missed like one day but not to bad) and is starting to eat greens/veggies! he is really only eating out of my hand and what i put on his basking spot though. almost nothing out of the bowl. this has been an ongoing problem with me for about a year. when i got him at around 2 months he would DESTROY veggies sometimes MORE than crix. then died down but still ate a bowl at least per day. then about a year ago totally stopped. i beleive it is acually over a year now. it was a year in january. then finally he is eating. he is running around CONSTANTLY and since his cage is right behind my computer it is impossible to get any quiet for my homeowrk. lol. he only eats sweet potatoe, yellow squash and carrots out of my hand. and really whatever out of his basking spot. i dont have much veggies in my house for him since after over a year he wasnt eating any, i just kept the bare minimum. one or two greens, and he got some of whatever kind of veggies we had. if we had carrots, i would cut some up for him and so on. but now i gota clear out his old drawer in my refridgerator(funny mimi story, i made my mom clear out the bottom half of my refridgerator! one drawer for Phoenix's food, one for Cooper my parrots food.lol) for him since after so long it really wasnt being used. it is like getting a brand new beardie again. after so long my motivation to cut up a fresh bowl of veggies was almost gone. not knowing what to do. but now its like i just got him and im finding it fun to just cut up some veggies, just because i love to see him munch away on them! its also been like getting a new beardie because i pretty much need to relearn everything he likes and dislikes. lol. the most annoying part of beardies. you go buy an entire squash, they dont even eat a bite. lol. sorry im ranting on and on about this. you guys just cant beleive the stress i was under for that year. nt being able to sleep MANY nights. with him not pooping and barly eating for that long i couldnt help but think if when i woke up if he would have passed overnight. thankfully he held on with me and we are happy and healthy again. i just cant express how happy and releived i am from that. you guys helped a ton with all you suggestions ans support. thanks so much to everyone here. this site has helped me since i joined and i hope I have helped at least one person half as much as you guys hace helped me. sososo sorry for the super long ranting and if you read the whole thing thank you! thanks a ton everyone!

PS: like i said before he is not eating out of his bowl. only my hand and a bit on his basking spot. is there a method to get him to eat out of the BOWL instead or my hand/basking spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom