Still can't get lighting right

Status
Not open for further replies.

casey

Hi everyone.

I've had my dragon for approximately 10 months and I'm fighting to keep the temperatures correct. I upgraded to a 50 gallon tank. I've tried a 150 watt basking bulb, which keeps the ambient temerature in the correct range 80-85 degrees during the day, but it puts my basking spot to over 120 degrees. (I'm using a digital thermometer with a probe placed directly on top of the basking rock when measuring temperatures) When I use a 100 watt bulb, the basking spot is 108 degrees (should i lower the elevation of the basking rock to decrease the temps a bit? or should I try a 75 watt bulb on the basking area with additional lights?) but the ambient temperature in the tank during the day is 72 degrees. The temps at night are around 69 degrees. The heat in my house now is on 70 degrees.

The cool side is supposed to be cool during the day so they can thermoregulate, right? So if I put another wattage light on the cool side, wont that make the cool side warm? And if I put the extra light on the warm side, next to the basking light, wont it help to raise the basking temperature?

It is also hard for me to find room to put all of the dome lights on. My tank, although a 50 gal, is not a 50 gal long. The top of the tank is divided into two, with a plastic bar in between both sides. I have two separate screen covers that fit snugly on top.

I think i've tried every combination available, but I may have missed something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

LQDragons

Juvie Member
they make a "lamp dimmer", you could use you 150w bulb & dim it(doesn't take much) to get the right basking temp. I'll find a picture of one & put it here. be right back :)

this from home depot, $11. I got mine at Ace hardware
dimmer.jpg

npedersen

Hatchling Member
With the 100W your temps sound right, I would just increase the height just slightly to get it alittle higher if you need. The temps on the cool side are preety good. If you beardie gets to hot he will move to the cool side to thermoregulate.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom