Steiwie Stewie Stewie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaina

Juvie Member
:banghead: :banghead: I wonder if the poor guy will EVER kick this damn fungus! We are starting the second week of the first of Two courses of antifungal meds. We did this over the summer, and he seemed to have gotten better, but it came back. The vet thinks maybe we should have just treated it longer the first time, which is why we doing two courses of meds this time.
He has a spot on his lip that started as a scale (otherwise it was normal) that wouldn't come off. I helped it along, carefully I thought, and then it got funky when the fungus kicked in. Maybe its started there, I don't even know. He started a couple of months after I got him, maybe less actually..but now the spot is just nasty. It turns dark and the skin gets all soft and gunky. I tried leaving it alone, and the funky skin just built up and built up. So I got nolvasan and cleaned it, and the soft gunky skin just wiped off. It was red and raw underneath, so I put neosporin and antifungal cream on it. I'll keep doing that I guess. It doesn't seem to be IN his mouth, just the lip.
I am feeding him a babyfood/critical care slurry after his meds, since he won't eat on his own (he did that before with the fungus infection too- is it the disease or the meds- again..I don't even know). He bit the end of the syring off!!! I got a Big piece out of his mouth, and the syring was still functional..there was bit of food left, so I tried to just get it over with. This time he bit a very tiny piece off, and I freaked and tried to get it out. I didn't find it. But I did get a nice bite on the tip of my index finger. I was rather impressed actually :?
So now there's that worry- will the peice of plastic pass? I think probably since it was so tiny, but it Is plastic. Argh.
His poop was infrequent before because his eating got sporadic..but the last two poops were very very runny. (Before the syringe biting incident) Bad babyfood? Too much gatorade? Medicine? I got new babyfood, which I will give him without gatorade, and then do the liquid at another time of day to seperate them and see if that helps. I was hoping the critical care might provide some bulk (oh and he ate 4 worms..a record in the last 3 weeks) I haven't seen any poop since then..and I am afraid to soak him because the fungus likes that too much.
I have human acidopholus capsules- could I sprinkle it in his food? Any idea how to decide how Much?
I don't know what else I can be doing for him. He will be two in April. I'm sure we will make it there, but what a crappy life for him. I wish I could do more and get him better. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Ambulance

Hatchling Member
=( I don't know the answers to you questions but I just wanted to give you and Stewie my best wishes!
I could be wrong but, I wouldn't worry of the plastic piece. He will probably pass it just fine.
I am sorry I am of little help.
I hope someone who can help will see this thread soon.

ChamNW

Hatchling Member
Elaina
It sounds like your guy has a definite case of lip rot. Of course it is hard to know without seeing him and I am not a vet. But the good news is that there is a great new product called Reptaid which can clear up the mouth rot in a hurry. I do not know if Reptaid has been used to treat for the fungal problem but I would not be at all surprised to learn that is helps solve that problem also. It is an all herbal natural product which works as an aid to fight disease. In many cases it works much better and faster than antibiotics.
I would encourage you to review the thread under "forsale" on this forum. The thread is called
Reptaid - Amazing Health Product For Dragons!!
It was started by Nicole from HowlingGaleDragons. She had a breeder dragon with an incurable case of lip rot and after the vets said there was no hope and all the meds did not good at all, she tried reptaid and in just 10 days her dragon was all better.
If you have more questions, PM me.

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
Fungal issues should be treated for about a month after it heals. My female got a fungal issue after being on Baytril when she was younger. I treated her skin for a month afterwards and it has been almost two years with no recurrence. The trick is to treat it longer to keep it from coming back. I got a liquid med from the vet and washed the areas with silver water first and applied the med with a q-tip. (I can't remember the name but it was a clear liquid) Magick had it on her head, beard, mouth.

Elaina

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Can you tell me the name of the silver wash? I also had someone tell me that their vet gave them silvadine cream (i think). My vet is giving us the oral meds, and nolvasan. Sounds like their is more we could do.

Lip rot crossed my mind. Its weepy and gross, and obviously hurts when I clean it. I'll check out the Reptaid. Anything!!!!

pscaulkins

Extreme Poster
The silver water is just that. It's water ran through a machine. I got it from a friend but you can buy it on the net. The liquid med my vet gave me was silverdine liquid. It worked great. I was told not to put antifungal over the counter meds on her lips or around her nose as it is very harsh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom