Staying dark, now hiding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Pancake is 4-5 months old.

Basking spot 98-113, reptisun 10.0 right near it. He has collar and mustard greens every day, some squash and cucumber - he gets a bath every day and I clean the tub he uses every time (and his urates look healthy and normal). He has dubia roaches and he will eat 7-15 a day (even if I offer again, he'll snub them), the size of the space between his eyes (about 3/4") - and I always dust them. I asked the vet if he looked fat enough and the vet said he looked fine. He has finished his round of Albon, has two more runs of Panacur - next one on the 17th. His poop looks normal, too.

He had been doing really great. I'd found he was seeing his reflection so I put up paper towels and he was fine - he stopped turning dark and stress-marked all the time.

But now he's super dark all the time and I'm worried - especially now that he's started hiding. I removed the basking rock with the little "room" that he was hiding in, so at least he's getting warm and UVB now.

Could this be a medication side-effect ? Could he now be seeing his reflection on the glass doors in the front ? He's not black-bearding and he's not shedding right now.

This has been happening for a few days and nothing has really changed to spark this. I check his temperatures every day with an IR temp gun - his rock is always 98-113, depending on where I point the gun - if I turn the light up so that most of the rock is 110, then I get a really hot spot of 125-130, and that didn't seem good ?

Now that I removed his rock he was hiding in, he's getting lighter, stress marks gone, and just ran around a bit. But now I'm worried he's not close enough to the uvb. :/ Since it's lower-down, his spot is not 95-98. Should I put the rock back and lower the temps to this ?

He still has a "tummy", but he's getting wrinkly again. I think he lost weight. I don't know why... he used to only eat 7 roaches a day and now he's averaging 10-15.

doe222

Juvie Member
it definetly could be a responce to the meds. they can sometimes be a bit harsh on beardies. somthing i realzied that you need to make sure is done while on panacur and other antibiotics is that you need to keep them hydrated. what i did was the syringe that the meds come in i filled it up to about 3ml and after each dose of medication i would feed him a oversized leaf and squirt some water into his mouth. he could just be getting a little thristy. my beardies in the middle of being treated for pinworms right now actually and everyday i squirt about 3ml of water while hand feeding just to keep him hydrated and to help flush some toxins out. he starts his second run of panacur on the 17th and hes looking much healthier already. :) so good luck !
PS: you can always call the vet that you took him too and ask about his experience in beardies with the meds hes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angiemeyer8561
Top Bottom