Square One

noella5088

Juvie Member
I'm at a loss. I really am. I saw something in the deli- a spice rack with rubber grips for the steps. I pictured Maya being able to climb up on his box. No problem. The reality of climbing down had me thinking. He can climb up. But, when he goes to climb down, he'll fall. Not off the side. Just straight down the stairs. So, I started to rethink of some things. I saw the cat climbing cardboard in the pet aisle. But, then I thought he'd get his little toes caught.
Is MDF safe? I have another idea coming up. Requires a couple of bricks and perhaps an MDF board.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Mdf will have Evergreen mixed in and would need to be sealed, otherwise it's usable.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Polyurethane, make sure it's curedcto zero fumes before putting it in.
Is there a particular brand? Like a spray on or use a brush to apply. If I cannot get MDF or Melamine, I'll come up with another idea. (Not pine that's for sure.) Like air dry clay or plaster of Paris. I can probably come up with a basking platform out of air dry clay or plaster of Paris.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Is there a particular brand? Like a spray on or use a brush to apply. If I cannot get MDF or Melamine, I'll come up with another idea. (Not pine that's for sure.) Like air dry clay or plaster of Paris. I can probably come up with a basking platform out of air dry clay or plaster of Paris.
Both of those would be good options. I use the brush on type, I think the propellant in the spray adds to the toxicity.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wouldn't want that in his tank. He started to use his front limbs more and his back legs too. I can make my own concrete pavers, but there's an issue with lifting a 50 LBS bag just to make one paver or two. I'll need to draw it out on paper.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
How well can Maya get around ? You're trying to build steps for him ? Can you post pics of Maya in the enclosure ?

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
How well can Maya get around ? You're trying to build steps for him ? Can you post pics of Maya in the enclosure ?
He does have his moments where he does fall over and goes on his back. Then can't get himself righted on his own. I've had to put some cushions to cushion his falls. I'm considering that it's all the soft items in the tank that is causing him issues - IE: To fall over. I'm trying to figure out a very basic basking area- one he can climb up and onto by himself. Something low. Something easy to grip. Hence the reason why for the spice rack rubber grip. But, I feel it would cause a hard time for him. I was going to have a whole basking spot and UVB spot all in one. Then there's a hide underneath it where he can go to sleep on his own or something.
I'll get photos later of him in his enclosure with him in it. I also have an extra mat so I can lay that on top of his basking- for his joints. He has no problem moving around his tank since I placed a mat in his tank.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok. Right is his basking spot for heat and the gray looking heating pad cover is his UVB basking Spot.
Here's what I've done so far. I have covered his saucer chair in the gray heat pad cover to see if he can grip. He tried climbing it from the side. But couldn't. So, I showed where to climb up. He hasn't really successfully climbed up that chair unless it's from the green box, also with an orange towel folded up. He can climb up that. No problem. He also uses the 'turtle' pillow as a perch and pillow for his weak front leg.
The small steps- dark green, he will climb up on that with the help of a knotted rice sock. (To absorb humidity. (Underneath the green stepper.
Cool side is where a fake plant is. He will frequently hold onto the bunny and plant together. Napkins is a bathroom. He will poop on them.
I've thought about bricks and tile as an all in one basking side.
I have tried his hammock. He still falls over.

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_111445070.jpg
    IMG_20240514_111445070.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 13

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Maybe just a slanted piece of wood , wide enough so he might not fall off. Other than that what you have is O.K, maybe save up for a larger enclosure but not too big since he doesn't get around well and can't climb very high.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Maybe just a slanted piece of wood , wide enough so he might not fall off. Other than that what you have is O.K, maybe save up for a larger enclosure but not too big since he doesn't get around well and can't climb very high.
I have something from home Depot. It will work I think.pics later. Still at home Depot.

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have something from home Depot. It will work I think.pics later.

Attachments

• IMG_20240514_182402251.jpg
    IMG_20240514_182402251.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 17

noella5088

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His first day on his new basking spot. I still need some cushions there. He climbed up on there by himself. Proud beardie.

Attachments

• IMG_20240515_121326510.jpg
    IMG_20240515_121326510.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 15

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom