Spring fever or poorly?! I'm at my wits end!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
They do form very strong bonds with their humans .
... also when I was in hospital , and really worried about the scaley babies , my wife couldn't make it in to visit me and so she called me , then she had the bright idea of putting the phone on speaker phone so I could speak to the lizards each one at a time, tells me each one of the instantly showed they recognized my voice and all were baffled by the fact they hear me but I was not anywhere in sight , eyes and heads turned here there and everywhere trying to find daddy, and each of the beardies showed their happy colours on hearing my voice .... I wish I had been present to see this .

Have you tried hand feeding her ? it's quite OK to hand feed your little beardie it's bugs and really easy to do , and comes with the added benefits that
>> you will less worried (you'll know beardies has eaten some quality food
>> you can build a really tight trusting bond even with the most skittish lizard by handfeeding
.... all my gang are handfed most their bugs, of cause this isn't necessary if i'm offering a type of live insect they LOVE ....ie silkworms , superworms and mealworms (last two are bribes / treats only). I've handfeeding lizards since Lucky.
They quickly learn the difference between fingers and bugs and mostly are very dainty now in how they take the unfortunate bugs from between my fingers.
The occasional accidential finger tip nip is worth it - these are usually my fault when they happen - don't multitask while handfeeding a bluetongue or beardie --- the result can be OUCH !

KatieMoo94

Original Poster
I do hand feed anything without legs! But even that isn't tempting any sort of reaction at the minute! He seems to have calmed down a bit the last couple days and looked twice at a cricket this morning so I think maybe approaching a breakthrough lol waiting with bated breath!

I still don't know if he's a he or a she I just can't tell and don't have the necessary flashlight power to try that method either. I'm just going to go with he until proven otherwise ??

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KatieMoo94":1xdce87b said:
I do hand feed anything without legs! But even that isn't tempting any sort of reaction at the minute! He seems to have calmed down a bit the last couple days and looked twice at a cricket this morning so I think maybe approaching a breakthrough lol waiting with bated breath!

I still don't know if he's a he or a she I just can't tell and don't have the necessary flashlight power to try that method either. I'm just going to go with he until proven otherwise ??

When I started off each of my "bubs" with the bonding / handfeeding ritual , I found that it was relatively easy to them to eat from my finger tips if :
>> I pulled the hopper legs of the crickets (lets call these "drumsticks"
>> I would then take the cricket and crush only it's head between the finger tips and have handy on my shirt near the hatchling while I gently forced the thick end of a drumstick between the lips and teeth , this usually got the hatchling chewing the tasty drumstick , but if this one failed I had a backup drumstick and I'd try again
>> while the hatchling was chewing (this is where you need good timing and nimble fingers) I'd slip the crushed head end of the cricket into the little opening and if successful , the hatching did the rest
>> 2nd and 3rd cricket were always easier , as the hatchling knew what was happening

After a few weeks of this all I had to was show the cricket and it was taken...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quantum
Top Bottom