Split nail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had originally posted in the Behavior section because we initially didn't see the injury to her nail, and she wouldn't let us near her.

We have a large hutch that we renovated about a year ago for Po's enclosure. She's about a year and a half old. We have the "shelves" lined with reptile carpet with various logs and rocks (NOT heat rocks) for her to play with. Sometimes Po gets restless and starts glass dancing, trying to climb the walls, and when that usually happens we let her run around the house so she can wear herself out.

However, while in the middle of one of these "restless" phases, she did this to her nail:

6154394136_0304565502_b.jpg

OUCH!

On the post that I had in the Behavior section, someone suggested using watered down betodine and soaking her finger in it, and putting neosporin on it. I've been doing that to her nail, but I don't feel right about letting it sit there split like that while she's still running around clawing her enclosure. Neither piece of the nail look loose or about to fall off.

Our vet is amazing, but is pretty hard to get in touch with (he also works at a wildlife center). Any suggestions on home remedies in the meantime?

ataraxia

Hatchling Member
keep enclosure clean and do the soak that has been given. the nail will either fall off on its own or if it is not to bad off it will repair itself. from the looks of it whats going to happen is going to happen with or without a vet attention. just keep everything as clean as you can.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Can you push the split back together? If so you might be able to super glue it together for a quick fix. I would probably try to determine which side has the quick in it then clip the other side off so its not snagging on stuff.

YoungMasterPo

Original Poster
When taking a close look at it, even touching it to see if either side was loose, caused her some pain. Both pieces seemed pretty secure still, but it's not bleeding today, which is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom